Particle swarm modeling of vapor-liquid equilibrium data of binary systems containing CO2 + imidazolium ionic liquids based on bis[(trifluoromethyl)sulfonyl]imide anion
- 121 Downloads
Based on particle swarm optimization (PSO), a thermodynamic modeling for the vapor-liquid equilibrium of binary mixtures of carbon dioxide with ionic liquids is presented. The Peng-Robinson equation of state with the Wong-Sandler mixing rules is used to evaluate the fugacity coefficient of the systems. Simulations are carried out in five systems containing 1-alkyl-3-methylimidazolium ionic liquids based on bis[(trifluoromethyl)sulfonyl]imide anion. Then, PSO algorithm was used to minimize the difference between calculated and experimental bubble pressure, and calculate the interaction parameters and the excess Gibbs free energy for all systems used. The results show that the bubble pressures were correlated with low deviations between experimental and calculated values. These deviations show that the PSO algorithm is the preferable method to optimize the interaction parameters of the phase equilibria of binary systems of supercritical carbon dioxide with ionic liquids, and can be used for other similar systems.
KeywordsIonic Liquid Engineer THERMOPHYSICS Particle Swarm Optimization Method Engineering THERMOPHYSICS Excess Gibbs Free Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Carvalho, P.J., Álvarez, V.H., Machado, J.J., Pauly, J., Daridon, J., Marrucho, I.M., Aznar, M., and Coutinho, J.A., High-Pressure Phase Behavior of Carbon Dioxide in 1-Alkyl-3-Methylimidazolium Bis(trifluoromethylsulfonyl)imide Ionic Liquids, J. Supercrit. Fluids, 2009, vol. 48, pp. 99–107.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.C., and Shi, Y., Swarm Intelligence, USA: Academic Press, 2001.Google Scholar
- 17.Orbey, H. and Sandler, S.I., Modeling Vapor-Liquid Equilibria. Cubic Equations of State and Their Mixing Rules, USA: Cambridge Univ. Press, 1998.Google Scholar
- 20.Walas, S.M., Phase Equilibria in Chemical Engineering, USA: Butterworth Publishing, 1985.Google Scholar
- 23.Shi, Y. and Eberhart, R.C., A Modified Particle Swarm Optimizer, Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Evolutionary Computation, Piscataway: IEEE Press, pp. 69–73, 1998.Google Scholar
- 26.Daubert, T.E., Danner, R.P., Sibul, H.M., and Stebbins, C.C., Physical and Thermodynamic Properties of Pure Chemicals. Data Compilation, London: Taylor & Francis, 1996.Google Scholar
- 29.Reilly, M., Computer Programs for Chemical Engineering Education, Texas: Sterling Swift, 1972.Google Scholar