Numerical simulation and experimental validation of heat transfer enhancement on a loaded heat treatment furnace
- 72 Downloads
Heat transfer simulation within heating furnaces is of great significance for prediction and control of the performance of furnaces. In this paper, a set of models is proposed to solve heat transfer problems in a loaded furnace. Furthermore, a 2-dimensional algorithm based on a finite difference method is presented. The heat transfer models are integrated with a furnace model to simulate the heating process of workpieces. Temperature variation of the workpiece with time is predicted by the system. An experiment is carried out for validation of the system. Themain objective of this work is to evaluate the behavior of a heated enclosure, when variable radiant panels are introduced. Experimental investigation shows that their efficiency depends on their position.
KeywordsHeat Transfer Heat Transfer Enhancement Engineer THERMOPHYSICS Loop Heat Pipe Radiant Panel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fleming, W.H., Khan, J.A., and Rhodes, C.A., Effective Heat Transfer in a Metalhydride Based Hydrogen Separation Process, Int. J. Hydrogen Energ., 2001, no. 6, pp. 711–724.Google Scholar
- 2.Sahoo, P.K., Ansari, M.I., and Datta, A.K., A Computer-Based Iterative Solution for Accurate Estimation of Heat Transfer Coefficients in a Helical Tube Heat Exchanger, J. Food Eng., 2003, no. 58, pp. 211–214.Google Scholar
- 3.Yi, J., Liu, Z.H., and Wang, J., Heat Transfer Characteristics of the Evaporator Section Using Small Helical Coiled Pipe in a Looped Heat Pipe, Appl. Therm. Eng., 2003, no. 23, pp. 89–99.Google Scholar
- 4.Conte, I. and Peng, X.F., Numerical Investigations of Laminar Flow in Coiled Pipes, Appl. Therm. Eng., 2008, no. 28, pp. 423–432.Google Scholar
- 5.White, F.M., Heat Transfer, New York: Addison-Wesley, 1984.Google Scholar
- 6.Chui, E.H., Raithby, G.D., and Hughes, P.M.,Prediction of Radiative Heat Transfer in Enclosures by the Finite Volume Method, J. Thermophys. Heat Transfer, 1992, no. 92.Google Scholar
- 7.Kang, J., Rong, Y.K., and Wang, W., Numerical Simulation of Heat Transfer in Loaded Heat Treatment Furnaces, J. Phys. IV France, 2004, pp. 545–553; http://publications.edpsciences.org/articles/jp4/pdf/2004/08/Jp4120063.pdf.
- 8.Ful-Chiang, W., Simultaneous Optimization of Robust Design with Quantitative and Ordinal Data, Int. J. Industrial Eng., Th., Appl. Pract., 2008, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 231–238.Google Scholar
- 9.Guneri, A.F. and Gumus, A.T., Artificial Neural Networks for Finite Capacity Scheduling: A Comparative Study, Int. J. Industrial Eng., Th., Appl. Pract., 2008, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 349–359.Google Scholar