Synthesis, characterization and properties of poly(methylenetetrasulfide) using interfacial catalysis
- 52 Downloads
A new polysulfide polymer was synthesized from methylene dichloride and sodium tetrasulfide by an interfacial polycondensation technique using two quarternary ammonium salts as phase transfer catalysts. The synthesized polymers were characterized by FT-IR, X-ray and elemental analysis. Thermal properties were evaluated by thermogravimetric analysis and differential scanning calorimetry. The solvent resistance of the polymer was investigated by the swelling method.
KeywordsPolymer Science Series Polysulfide Phase Transfer Catalyst Phase Transfer Catalysis Solvent Resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Handbook of Polymers, Ed. By S. Ellerstein (Wiley, New York, 1985).Google Scholar
- 2.T. C. P. Lee, Properties and Applications of Elastomeric Polysulfides (Rapra, ISBN: 1-85957-158, 1992).Google Scholar
- 4.C. Lee, US Patent No. 5432257 (1995).Google Scholar
- 5.The Chemistry of Sulfides, Ed. by A. V. Tobolsky (Wiley, New York, 1968).Google Scholar
- 6.C. A. Baah, J. I. Baah, P. Gianadda, and C. Fisher, J. Mater. Des. 21, 211 (2000).Google Scholar
- 7.Aliphatic Polysulfides, Ed. by H. Lucke (Huthig and Wepf, New York, 1994).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Einhorn, Annu. Chem. 300, 135 (1898).Google Scholar
- 9.Condensation Polymers: By Interfacial and Solution Methods, Ed. by P. W. Morgan (Wiley, New York, 1965).Google Scholar
- 12.W. Podkoscielny and W. Kowalewska, J. Polym. Sci., Part A: Polym. Chem. 22, 1579 (1984).Google Scholar
- 13.Catalytic Asymmetric Synthesis, Ed. by M. J. O’Donnell (Wiley-VCH, New York, 2000), pp. 727–755.Google Scholar
- 17.S. Sundarrajan, M. Surianarayanan, and K. S. V. Srinivasan, J. Polym. Sci. 43, 638 (2005).Google Scholar