Incoherent vertical ion losses during multiturn stacking cooling beam injection
- 22 Downloads
The efficiency of the multiturn ion injection with electron cooling depends on two parameters, namely, cooling efficiency and ion lifetime. The lifetime of freshly injected ions is usually shorter than the lifetime of strongly cooled stacked ions. Freshly injected ions are lost in the vertical direction because the vertical acceptance of the synchrotron is usually a few times smaller than the horizontal acceptance. Incoherent vertical losses of freshly injected ions arise from their multiple scattering by residual gas atoms and transverse diffusion caused by stack noise. Reduced ion lifetime limits the multiturn injection efficiency. Analytical estimations and BETACOOL-based numerical evaluations of the vertical ion losses during multiturn injection are presented in comparison with the experimental data obtained at the HIMAC synchrotron and the S-LSR storage ring.
KeywordsNucleus Letter Electron Cool Transverse Diffusion Injection Cycle Betatron Oscillation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.E. M. Syresin and K. Noda, “Formation and stability of cooled intense beams in a synchrotron at the injection energy,” Prikl. Fiz., No. 2, 14–24 (2008).Google Scholar
- 4.T. Shirai et al., “Commissioning of electron beam cooling at S-LSR,” ICFA HB2006 Workshop, 2006, KEK, 247–249.Google Scholar
- 6.E. Syresin, “Comments to S-LSR stacking experiments with feedback system,” Beam Science and Technology 11, 3–6 (2008).Google Scholar
- 7.T. Uesugi et al., “Dynamics of a high density ion beam with electron cooling in eh HIMAC synchrotron,” in Proceedings of the Particle Accelerator Conference PAC 05, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA, 2005, pp. 416–418.Google Scholar
- 8.E. Syresin, et al., “Numerical and experimental study of cooling-stacking injection in HIMAC synchrotron,” in Proceedings of the European Particle Accelerator Conference EPAC 06, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, 2006, pp. 2607–2909.Google Scholar
- 9.E. Syresin and K. Noda, “Cooling-stacking experiments with argon beam at HIMAC synchrotron,” Preprint HIMAC-097, 2004.Google Scholar
- 10.E. Syresin, “Simulation of incoherent vertical losses and cooling stacking injection,” in Proceedings of the European Particle Accelerator Conference EPAC 06, EPAC 08, Genova, Italy, 2008, pp. 3494–3496.Google Scholar