A technology for the calculation and manufacture of devices for shaping a proton beam in radiotherapy
A therapeutic proton beam for an actual irradiation procedure is shaped using customized collimator leaves made out of Cerrobend, while to make the proton-beam depth-dose distribution conformal to the target volume, so-called boluses (compensators) with sophisticated shapes are calculated and then fabricated to compensate for the heterogeneities of a patient’s tissues and organs in the beam path. This article describes the main stages of testing a technology for manufacturing bolus from industrial wax which was developed at the Medico-Technical Complex (MTC) at the Dzelepov Laboratory of Nuclear Problems, Joint Institute for Nuclear Research (DLNP JINR), by comparing the spatial dose distributions obtained under a computer simulation of proton irradiation and the actually measured ones under the experiment.
KeywordsDose Distribution Proton Beam Nucleus Letter Proton Therapy Proton Beam Radiation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. M. Abazov, A. N. Bragin, S. A. Gustov, V. P. Dzhele- pov, V. P. Zorin, I. I. Klochkov, S. A. Kutuzov, I. V. Mirokhin, G. V. Mitsyn, A. G. Molokanov, O. V. Savchenko, E. P. Cherevatenko, S. V. Shvidkii, B. A. Astrakhan, and V. K. Poidenko, “Six-Cabin Medical Complex for Beam Therapy on Beams of Phasotron,” JINR Commun. D18-92-539 (Joint Inst. Nucl. Res., Dubna, 1992).Google Scholar
- 2.A. V. Agapov, V. N. Gaevskii, I. A. Gulidov, A. V. Iglin, E. I. Luchin, G. V. Mitsyn, A. G. Molokanov, M. A. Tseitlina, E. P. Cherevatenko, and S. V. Shvidkii, “The Method of Three-Dimensional Conformal Proton Therapy,” Phys. Part. Nucl. Lett. 2, 129 (2005).Google Scholar
- 3.W. T. Chu, B. A. Ludewigt, and T. R. Renner, “Instrumentation for Treatment of Cancer Using Proton and Light-Ion Beams,” Rev. Sci. Instrum. 64, 8 (1993).Google Scholar
- 4.S. A. Kutuzov, “Instrument for Automated Measurement of Dose Fields,” JINR Commun. R10-89-194 (Joint Inst. Nucl. Res., Dubna, 1989).Google Scholar
- 5.Proton Therapy and Treatment Center — Loma Linda University Medical Center. http://www.protons.com
- 6.Syil Company. http://www.syil.ru
- 7.Freeman — Specialty Waxes for the Jewelry Industry. http://www.freemanwax.com