Progress in development of Nuclotron accelerator complex
- 20 Downloads
The Nuclotron superconducting synchrotron was constructed in 1987–1992 ; it is the world’s first synchrotron based on fast cycling “window frame” electromagnets with a superconducting coil. For a design field of dipole magnets of 2 T, the magnetic rigidity is 45 T m, which corresponds to the energy of heavy nuclei (for example, gold) of 4.5 GeV/nucleon. The Nuclotron accelerator complex is currently being upgraded (the Nuclotron-M project); this upgrade is considered a key part of the first stage of fulfilling the new Joint Institute for Nuclear Research (JINR) project: the Nuclotron-based Ion Collider fAcility and Multi-Purpose Detector (NICA/MPD). The most important task of this new project is the preparation of basic Nuclotron systems for its reliable operation as part of the NICA accelerator complex. Basic results of activity on the project, which started in 2007, are presented and the results of the last Nuclotron runs are analyzed.
KeywordsNucleus Letter Power Supply System Deuteron Beam Accelerator Complex Booster Synchrotron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. M. Baldin et al., “Heavy Ion Accelerator Complex,” JINR preprint 9-11796 (Dubna, 1978).Google Scholar
- 2.A. N. Sissakian (for NICA Collab.), “Nuclotron-Based Ion Collider Facility,” in Proc. of the Intern. Conf. LP’07, Daegu, Korea, Aug., 2007.Google Scholar
- 3.N. N. Agapov, A. V. Alfeev, V. A. Andreev, et al., “Status of the Nuclotron-M Project (Overall Results of the Run Nos. 37, 38)”, Soobshch. OIYaI, R9-2009-38 (Dubna, 2009).Google Scholar
- 4.A. S. Averichev, N. N. Agapov, A. V. Alfeev, et al., “Results of the Run No. 39 of Nuclotron,” Soobshch. OIYaI R9-2009-131 (Dubna, 2009).Google Scholar
- 5.I. B. Issinskii, O. I. Brovko, and A. V. Butenko, “Experiments on Study of Intensivity Losses of Nuclotron Beam (2002–2005),” Soobshch. OIYaI R9-2007-107 (Dubna, 2007).Google Scholar
- 6.N. N. Agapov, “Cryogenic Technologies of the Nuclotron — Superconducting Accelerator of Relativistic Nuclei,” Fiz. Elem. Chastits At. Yadra 30, 760 (1999) [Phys. Part. Nucl. 30, 322 (1999)].Google Scholar
- 7.V. N. Karpinskii et al., “Modernization of Power Supply Systemy of Nuclotron-M,” in Proc. of the 8th Intern. Seminar on Problems of Charged Particles Accelerators in Memory of V. P. Sarantsev, Alushta, 31 Aug.–5 Sept. 2009.Google Scholar