Space group of heterogeneous cylinder packing with six 〈110〉 directions
The space group of a periodic cylinder packing structure is reported. Congruent cylinders of infinite length are packed parallel to the six cubic 〈110〉 directions. The structure belongs not to the cubic system but to the tetragonal system. Although the parallel cylinders form the same rhombic lattice along each of the six directions, the packing structure as a whole is heterogeneous: cylinders along two of the directions occupy one Wyckoff position, and cylinders along the remaining four directions occupy the other Wyckoff position. Their combined structure belongs to the space group I4122, which provides two enantiomorphic structures.
Keywordscylinder packing space group heterogeneous structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Holden, A., Shapes, Space, and Symmetry, New York: Columbia University Press, 1971.Google Scholar
- 5.O’Keeffe, M. and Hyde, B.G., Crystal Structures: I. Patterns and Symmetry, Washington D.C.: The Mineralogical Society of America, 1996.Google Scholar
- 12.Hatta, H., Elastic Moduli and Thermal Expansion Coefficients of Three-Dimensional Fabric Composites, Nippon Fukugo Zairyo Gakkaishi (J. Jpn. Soc. Compos. Mater.), 1988, vol. 14, pp. 73–80 [in Japanese].Google Scholar
- 13.Hijikata, A. and Fukuta, K., Structure of Three-Dimensional Multi-Axis Composites, Nippon Fukugo Zairyo Gakkaishi (J. Jpn. Soc. Compos. Mater.), 1992, vol. 18, pp. 231–238 [in Japanese].Google Scholar
- 15.Ogawa, T., Teshima, Y., and Watanabe, Y., Geometry and Crystallography of Rod System, Nippon Fukugo Zairyo Gakkaishi (J. Jpn. Soc. Compos. Mater.), 1995, vol. 21, pp. 165–173 [in Japanese].Google Scholar
- 16.Teshima, Y., A Study for Possible Structures of Congruent Cylinders, Bussei Kenkyu, 1995, vol. 65, pp. 405–439 [in Japanese].Google Scholar
- 18.Watanabe, Y., Teshima, Y., and Ogawa, T., Geometry of Rod Packings, Symmetry Cult. Sci., 1996, vol. 7, pp. 81–84.Google Scholar
- 19.Watanabe, Y., Geometry of Rod Packings, Dissertation, Tsukuba: University of Tsukuba Press, 1999 [in Japanese].Google Scholar
- 21.Teshima, Y., Matsumoto, T., Watanabe, Y., Ogawa, T., and Kase, K., A New Structure of Cylinder Packing: Its Structure and Space Group, in Proceedings of the ISM Symposium “Statistics and Discrete Geometry: Application to Crystallography and Chemistry,” Tokyo, Japan, Tokyo, March 25–26, 2002, Tokyo, 2002.Google Scholar
- 22.Teshima, Y. and Matsumoto, T., Periodic Packing of Cylinders with Six Directions: Geometry, in Proceedings of the Topical Meeting of the European Ceramic Society “Geometry, Information, and Theoretical Crystallography of the Nanoworld,” St. Petersburg, Russia, July 30–August 3, 2007, St. Petersburg, 2007.Google Scholar
- 23.Teshima, Y., Matsumoto, T., Watanabe, Y., and Ogawa, T., Heterogeneous Cylinder Packing: Space Group on Periodic Structures with 〈110〉 Six Directions, in Abstracts of Papers of the XXI Congress and Assembly of the International Union of Crystallography, Osaka, Japan, August 23–31, 2008, Osaka, 2008; Acta Crystallogr., Sect. A: Found. Crystallogr., 2008, vol. 64, pp. C150–C150.Google Scholar