Atomic modeling and prediction of the structure, energy characteristics of point defects, and thermodynamic and elastic properties of the simple and complex beryllium oxides
- 80 Downloads
A set of partially covalent interatomic potentials has been developed with the aim of reproducing the experimentally known crystal structures and predicting the unknown crystal structures and the thermodynamic and elastic properties of bromellite BeO, chrysoberyl BeAl2O4, and its isostructural analogs BeCr2O4 and BeFe2O4. The calculated structural, elastic, and thermodynamic properties of these minerals are in good agreement with the available experimental data. This gives grounds to believe that the prediction of a number of unknown properties of these compounds and the model crystal structure of Fe chrysoberyl are sufficiently reliable. A theoretical analysis of the energy characteristics of the Schottky and Frenkel point defects is carried out for all the substances under investigation.
KeywordsBeryllium Atomic Modeling Glass Physic Beryllium Oxide Chrysoberyl
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shein, I.R., Kiiko, V.S., Makurin, Yu.N., Gorbunova, M.A., and Ivanovskii, A.L., Elastic Parameters of Single-Crystal and Polycrystalline Wurtzite-Like Oxides BeO and ZnO: Ab Initio Calculations, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg), 2007, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 1015–1020 [Phys. Solid State (Engl. transl.), 2007, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 1067–1073].Google Scholar
- 3.Eremin, H.H., Talis, R.A., and Urusov, V.S., Computer Modeling of the Local Structure, Mixing Properties, and Stability of Binary Oxide Substitutional Solid Solutions in the Corundum-Eskolaite-Hematite System, Kristallografiya, 2008, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 802–807 [Crystallogr. Rep. (Engl. transl.), 2008, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 755–763].Google Scholar
- 6.Robie, R.A. and Hemingway, B.S., Thermodynamic Properties of Minerals and Related Substances, US Geol. Surv. Bull. (Washington, DC), 1995, no. 2131.Google Scholar
- 7.Sofronov, A.A. Gorbunova, M.A., Makurin, Yu.N., Kiiko, V.S., and Ivanovskii, A.L., Intrinsic Point Defects and Electron-Energetic Characteristics of Hexagonal Monoxide of Beryllium, Zh. Strukt. Khim., 2006, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 773–775 [J. Struct. Chem. (Engl. transl.), 2006, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 760–763].Google Scholar
- 9.Weir, C.E. and van Valkenburg, A., J. Res. Natl. Bur. Stand., Sect. A, 1960, vol. 64, pp. 103–106.Google Scholar
- 11.Semin, E.G., Zubenko, L.V., Zubenko, V.P., and Manakov, V.M., Investigation of the Mechanism and Kinetics of the Formation of Chrysoberyl, Zh. Neorg. Khim., 1976, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 273–278.Google Scholar
- 12.Suvorov, S.A., Semin, E.G., and Gusarov, V.V., Fazovye diagrammy i termodinamika oksidnykh tverdykh rastvorov (Phase Diagrams and Thermodynamics of Oxide Solid Solutions), Leningrad: Leningrad State University, 1986 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 14.Kaminskii, A.A., Aminov, L.K., Ermolaev, V.L., Kravchenko, V.B., Mill, B.V., Perlin, Yu.E., Petrosyan, A.G., Pukhov, K.K., Sakun, V.P., Sarkisov, S.E., Sveshnikova, E.B., Skripko, G.A., Starostin, N.V., and Shkadarevich, A.P., Fizika i spektroskopiya lazernykh kristallov (Physics and Spectroscopy of Laser Crystals), Moscow: Nauka, 1986 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 15.Gusarov, V.V. and Semin, E.G., Phase Diagram of the Subsolidus Region of the BeAl2O4-[BeFe2O4] Pseudobinary System, Zh. Neorg. Khim., 1992, vol. 37, pp. 2092–2096.Google Scholar