Investigation of the influence of temperature on polyelectrolyte microcapsules
- 43 Downloads
The heat sensitivity of hollow polyelectrolyte microcapsules consisting of an even or odd number of alternating layers of poly(allylamine) and poly(styrenesulfonate) is investigated by light scattering and confocal microscopy. The polyelectrolyte microcapsules are prepared using CaCO3 microspherulites as “core” dispersed particles. It is demonstrated that the size of capsules with an even or odd number of layers decreases with an increase in the temperature and time of heat treatment. The heat sensitivity of the polyelectrolyte microcapsules is estimated from the activation energy required for changing the parameters of their initial structure under heating. It is shown that the heat sensitivity of the polyelectrolyte microcapsules with an odd number of layers is higher than the heat sensitivity of the polyelectrolyte microcapsules with an even number of layers. A possible mechanism responsible for the change in the structural parameters of the microcapsules upon heat treatment is proposed.
KeywordsGlass Physic Allylamine Light Scattering Intensity Ionogenic Group Heat Sensitivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sukhorukov, G.B., Radtchenko, I.L., and Möhwald, H.H., Polyelectrolyte Micro-and Nanocapsules as Microcages for Chemical Reactions in Restricted Volumes, in Physics, Chemistry, and Applications of Nanostructures, Borisenko, V.E., Gaponenko, S.V., and Gurin, V.S., Eds., Singapore: World Scientific, 2001, pp. 291–294.Google Scholar
- 2.Möhwald, H., Donath, E., and Sukhorukov, G.B., Smart Capsules, in Multilayer Thin Films: Sequential Assembly of Nanocomposite Materials, Decher, G. and Schlenoff, J.B., Eds., Weinheim: Wiley-VCH, 2003, pp. 363–392.Google Scholar
- 3.Sukhorukov, G.B., From Polyelectrolyte Capsules to Drug Carriers, in ACS Symposium Book Series 879: Carrier-Based Drug Delivery, Svenson, S., Ed., Washington D.C.: ACS, 2004, pp. 249–266.Google Scholar
- 8.Lvov, Y., Antipov, A.A., Mamedov, A., Möhwald, H., and Sukhorukov, G.B., Urease Encapsulation in Nanoorganized Microshells, Nanoletters, 2001, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 125–128.Google Scholar
- 10.Shchukin, D.G., Radtchenko, I.L., and Sukhorukov, G.B., Photoinduced Reduction of Silver Inside Micron-Scale Polyelectrolyte Capsules, Chem. Phys. Chem., 2003, vol. 4, pp. 1101–1103.Google Scholar