Electrtic transport properties and the size effect in ZrO2-based ceramic materials
- 31 Downloads
Amorphous nanomaterials in the ZrO2-CeO2 system are synthesized. The aging and crystallization processes in a complex zirconium-cerium hydrogel are investigated. Powders with a crystal size of 45–100 nm are prepared. Samples having a porosity of less than 2.2% are produced from the powders. It is demonstrated that tetragonal zirconia-based solid solutions Zr1−x CexO2−δ sintered at a temperature of 1500°C possess ionic conductivity in air and in noble gasses. The assumptions are made regarding the mechanisms of ionic (surface anionic) and electronic (hopping) conduction in samples of the 88ZrO2 · 12CeO2 (mol %) composition. The solid solutions prepared can be used at a temperature of 720°C as high-strength inexpensive solid electrolytes.
KeywordsZirconia Solid Solution Ceria Ionic Conductivity Glass Physic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Glushkova, V.B., Podzorova, L.I., Popov, V.P., and Tikhonov, P.A., Electric Transport Properties and the Size Effect in ZrO2-Based Ceramic Materials, Tezisy dokladov VIII Mezhdunarodnogo simpoziuma “Poryadok, besporyadok i svoistva oksidov” (Abstracts of Papers of the VIII International Symposium “Order, Disorder, and Oxide Properties”), Sochi, 2005, p. 55 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 2.Pal’guev, S.F. and Volchenkova, Z.S., Electrical Conductivity and Transport Numbers of Ions in the CeO2-ZrO2 System, Zh. Fiz. Khim., 1960, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 452–455.Google Scholar
- 3.Larry, L., Fehrenbacher, N., and Tallan, M., Electrical Property of CeO2-ZrO2, Ceram. Bull., 1969, vol. 48, no. 4, p. 409.Google Scholar
- 4.Podzorova, L.I., Il’icheva, A.A., Mikhailina, N.A., Shevchenko, V.Ya., et al., Investigation of Homogeneous Precipitation of Zirconia Stabilized by Ceria, Ogneupory, 1995, no. 6, pp. 2–5.Google Scholar
- 5.Il’icheva, A.A., Olenin, A.Yu., Podzorova, L.I., Shevchenko, V.Ya., et al., Surfactant Effects on the Aggregation and Structure of Stabilized Zirconia Prepared by Sol-Gel Processing, Neorg. Mater., 1996, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 833–837 [Inorg. Mater. (Engl. transl.), 1996, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 736–740].Google Scholar
- 6.Podzorova, L.I., Il’icheva, A.A., Mikhailina, N.A., Shevchenko, V.Ya., et al., Effect of Synthesis Conditions on the Phase Composition of ZrO2-CeO2-Al2O3 Sol-Gel Powders, Neorg. Mater., 2001, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 60–66 [Inorg. Mater. (Engl. transl.), 2001, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 51–57].Google Scholar