Employers and Foreign Migrants in the Labor Markets of Major Russian Cities: Interactions in a New Economic Reality
Materials of focus groups with employers who hire foreigners, in-depth interviews with labor migrants, and expert interviews with decision-makers, as well as statistical data, serve as groundwork for investigating the new migrant labor practices that have arisen from the radical restructuring of the migration legislation since early 2015 and those that remain since the economic crisis of 2008–2009 (the latter prevail). The conclusion has been drawn that employers are generally not ready to refrain from hiring labor migrants, despite the increased costs of migrant labor.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The concept of the state migration policy of the Russian Federation for the period until 2025. http://www.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/15635.Google Scholar
- 3.K. S. Grigor’eva and V. I. Mukomel’, “Migrants and Russians in the labor market: Conditions, working conditions, and wages,” in Migrants, Migrantophobia, and Migration Policy, Ed. by V. I. Mukomel’ (Academia, Moscow, 2014), pp. 82–99 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 4.V. I. Dyatlov and E. N. Petrova, “Irkutsk oblast: Dynamics of external migrations in conditions of economic crisis,” Izv. Irkutsk. Gos. Univ., Ser.: Politol. Religioved., No. 2, 73–83 (2010).Google Scholar
- 5.“Migrants through the eyes of Muscovites,” Demoskop-Weekly, Nos. 605–606 (2014). http://demoscope.ru/weekly/2014/0605/index.php.Google Scholar
- 7.World Migration Report 2008: Managing Labor Mobility in the Evolving Global Economy (International Organization for Migration, Geneva, 2008).Google Scholar
- 8.I. Awad, The Global Economic Crisis and Migrant Workers: Impact and Response (International Labor Office, Genewa, 2009).Google Scholar
- 9.Migration and the Demographic Crisis in Russia, Ed. by Zh. A. Zaionchkovska and E. V. Tyuryukanova (MAKS Press, Moscow, 2010) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 10.O. S. Chudinovskikh, “On the possible impact of the crisis on international migration in Russia,” Demoskop-Weekly, No. 363–364 (2009). http://demoscope. ru/weekly/2009/0363/analit04.php.Google Scholar
- 12.The Levada Center. The Analytical Center of Yuri Levada. http://www.levada.ru/2016/10/11/intolerantnost-i-ksenofobiya/.Google Scholar
- 13.Work in Russia. All-Russian base of vacancies. https://trudvsem.ru.Google Scholar