Acyl iodides in organic synthesis. Reaction of acetyl iodide with thiols
- 132 Downloads
The direction of reactions of acetyl iodide with aliphatic, aromatic, and heterocyclic thiols is determined by the thiol acidity and steric factors. Acetyl iodide reacted with aliphatic thiols, including trialkylsilylsubstituted derivatives R(CH2) n SH (R = Me, n = 3; R = Me3Si, n = 3; R = Et3Si, n = 2), to give the corresponding ethanethioates R(CH2) n SCOMe. Benzenethiol was oxidized with acetyl iodide to diphenyl disulfide. The reaction of acetyl iodide with 2-sulfanylethanol afforded 2-(2-iodoethyldisulfanyl)ethyl acetate as a result of three consecutive-parallel processes: acylation, iodination, and oxidation of the initial compound. 1,3-Benzothiazole-2-thiol reacted with acetyl iodide only at the nitrogen atom to give quaternary salt, whereas the SH group remained intact.
KeywordsEthanethiol Benzenethiol PhSH Acetyl Iodide Diphenyl Disulfide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Organic Chemistry of Sulfur, Oae, S., Ed., New York: Plenum, 1977.Google Scholar
- 6.The Chemistry of the Thiol Group, Patai, S., Ed., London: Wiley, 1974, vol. 2, p. 785.Google Scholar
- 8.Voronkov, M.G., Vlasova, N.N., Adamovich, M.Yu., Pozhidaev, Yu.N., and Kirillov, A.I., Zh. Obshch. Khim., 1984, vol. 54, p. 865.Google Scholar
- 9.Mironov, V.F. and Pogonkina, N.A., Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Otd. Khim. Nauk, 1959, p. 85.Google Scholar
- 10.Aivazov, B.V., Petrov, S.M., Khairullina, V.R., and Yapryntseva, V.G., Fiziko-khimicheskie konstanty sero-organicheskikh soedinenii (Physicochemical Constants of Organosulfur Compounds), Moscow: Khimiya, 1964.Google Scholar