Dependence of the parameters of thermal decomposition of energetic materials on the experiment conditions
- 32 Downloads
The causes of large scatter of the published data on the kinetic parameters of thermal decomposition of energetic materials, determined by methods of thermal analysis, are analyzed. It is shown that this scatter is mainly due to different contribution of secondary reactions involving gaseous products in devices differing in the design of the measurement cells. The influence of nitrogen pressure in the interval 1–100 bar on the characteristics of thermal decomposition of HMX and ammonium perchlorate in open measurement cells (crucibles with perforated lids) is examined by DSC. An increase in pressure leads to significant changes in the temperature intervals, in the shape of the heat release peaks, and in the heat of the overall decomposition reaction, ΔН d. The kinetic parameters of the thermal decomposition of HMX, calculated from the results of experiments in open and sealed crucibles at heating rates of 0.1–1.0 deg min−1, are compared.
KeywordsThermal Decomposition Thermal Explosion Energetic Material Ammonium Perchlorate Total Heat Release
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Nandy, A.K., Ghosh, M., Sutar, V.B., and Pandey, R.K., Centr. Eur. J. Energet. Mater., 2012, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 119–130.Google Scholar
- 3.Lin-Quan Liao, Qi-Long Yan, Ya Zheng, et al., Indian J. Eng. Mater. Sci., 2011, vol. 18, pp. 393–398.Google Scholar
- 6.Seo, B., Ahn, Kh.., Lee, B.-C., et al., in Asian Crystallization Technology Symp., Korea, May 23–25, 2012, report MB-3.Google Scholar
- 8.Kishore, K., Defence Sci. J., 1977, vol. 28, pp. 59–66.Google Scholar
- 9.Hsu, P.C., Hust, G., Zhang, M.X., et al., in The APS Shock Compression of Condensed Matter, Seattle, WA (USA), July 7–12, 2013, LLNL-CONF-642893.Google Scholar
- 11.Burnham, A.K., Weese, R.K., Wemhoff, A.P., and Maienschein, J.L., in NATAS 34th Conf., Bowling Green, KY (USA), August 6–9, 2006, URCL-CONF-221803.Google Scholar
- 13.Burnham, A.K. and Weese, R.K., in 36th Int. ICT Conf. and 32nd Pyrotechnics Seminar, Karsruhe (Germany), June 28–July 1, 2005, URCL-CONF-210681.Google Scholar