Effect of Low Charge and High Hydrophobicity on Antimicrobial Activity of the Quinazolinone-Peptide Conjugates
Peptides of relatively low charge and a high number of hydrophobic amino acids were designed. The amino acid sequence of designed peptides was GXGVP, where X equaled to W, Y, F, D, and T with a combination of hydrophobic, charged and polar units. These peptides were linked to quinazolinones to obtain a new class of compounds with synergistic features. The hybrids displayed antimicrobial activity against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. In particular, Trp, Tyr, and Phe-containing peptides showed greater antimicrobial potency than the reference standards. Alkyl chain length variations in heterocyclic moiety indicated that hybrids with propyl group were more active than butyl derivatives. Improved results were observed for debenzylated versions of the conjugates compared to their benzylated counterparts. Implementation of the hybrid structures of varying charge, hydrophobicity, and alkyl chain length would be a promising approach to obtaining effective antimicrobial agents.
Keywordspentapeptides quinazolinones hydrophobic antimicrobial conjugation
- QZN (I)
- QZN (II)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Taylor, Z., Nolan, C.M., and Blumberg, H.M., MMWR Morb. Mortal Wkly. Rep., 2005, vol. 54, pp. 1–81.Google Scholar
- 9.Murav’eva, K.M., Arkhangel’skaya, N.V., Shchukina, M.N., and Zykova, T.N., Pershin. Khim. Farm. Zh., 1991, vol. 5, pp. 25–27.Google Scholar
- 10.Abdel-Hamid, S.G., J. Indian. Chem. Soc., 1979, vol. 74, pp. 613–618.11. Barker, A.J., Eur. Patent 635498, Chem. Abstr., 1995, vol. 122, p. 214099.Google Scholar
- 11.Barker, A.J., Eur. Patent 635498, Chem. Abstr., 1995, vol. 122, p. 214099.Google Scholar
- 12.Aziza, M.A., Ibrahim, M.K., and El-Helpy, A.G., Al-Azhar J. Pharm. Sci., 1994, vol. 14, pp. 193–201.Google Scholar
- 31.Izumiya, N., Kato, T., Aoyagi, H., Waki, M., and Kondo, M., Synthetic Aspects of Biologically Active Cyclic Peptides—Gramicidin S and Tyrocidines, Tokyo: Kodansha and New York: John Wiley (Halsted), 1979.Google Scholar
- 39.Perez, C., Paul, M., and Bazerque, P., Acta. Biol. Med. Exp., 1990, vol. 15, pp. 113–115.Google Scholar
- 40.Singh, I. and Singh, V.P., Phytomorphology, 2000, vol. 50, pp. 151–157.Google Scholar