Effects of Topographical Heterogeneity and Dispersal Limitation on Species Turnover in a Temperate Mountane Ecosystem: a Case Study in the Henan Province, China
- 9 Downloads
Species turnover patterns can be inconsistent due to differences in the dispersal ability of different growth forms. Here, species of trees, shrubs, herbs, and bryophytes in the Xiaoqinling National Nature Reserve in China were analyzed to determine patterns of species turnover along an elevation and spatial gradient. Variance partitioning was used to assess the relative contribution of topographic heterogeneity and dispersal limitation to species turnover. Our results suggest that the effect of dispersal limitation is more important than topographic heterogeneity on species turnover in temperate mountane ecosystems in the study area. Dispersal limitation has a greater effect on trees species turnover than on shrubs, herbs or bryophytes species turnover.
KeywordsDispersal ability Tree Shrub Herb Bryophyte Growth form Dispersal distance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 11.Fenner, M. and Kitajima, K., Seed and Seedling Ecology. Handbook of Functional Plant Ecology. Marcel Dekker, New York, 1999, pp. 589–621.Google Scholar
- 13.Jia, H.R., Chen, Y., Yuan, Z.L., Ye, Y.Z., and Huang, Q.C., Effects of environmental and spatial heterogeneity on tree community assembly in Baotianman National Nature Reserve, Henan, China, Pol. J. Ecol., 2015, vol. 63, pp. 175–183.Google Scholar
- 21.Ye, Y.Z., Wang, W.S., and Li, H.S., Scientific Survey of the Xiaoqinling Nature Reserve in Henan Province, Beijing: Science Press, 2004.Google Scholar
- 23.Legendre, P. and Legendre, L., Numerical Ecology, 2nd ed., Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1998.Google Scholar
- 25.Kristiansen, T., Svenning, J.C., Eiserhardt, W.L., Pedersen, D., Brix, H., Munch Kristiansen, S., and Balslev, H., Environment versus dispersal in the assembly of western Amazonian palm communities, J. Biogeogr., 2012, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 1318–1332.Google Scholar
- 27.Wieland, P.A., Frolich, E.F., and Wallace, A., Vegetative propagation of woody shrub species from the northern Mojave and southern Great Basin deserts, Madrono, 1971, vol. 21, no. 3, pp.149–152.Google Scholar