Influence of a Nitrogen Admixture on the Anomalous Memory Effect in the Breakdown of Low-Pressure Argon in a Long Discharge Tube
The memory effect (the dependence of the dynamic breakdown voltage U b on the time interval τ between voltage pulses) in pulse-periodic discharges in pure argon and the Ar + 1%N2 mixture was studied experimentally. The discharge was ignited in a 2.8-cm-diameter tube with an interelectrode distance of 75 cm. The measurements were performed at gas pressures of P = 1, 2, and 5 Torr and discharge currents in a steady stage of the discharge of I = 20 and 56 mA. Breakdown was produced by applying positive-polarity voltage pulses, the time interval between pulses being in the range of τ = 0.5–40 ms. In this range of τ values, a local maximum (the anomalous memory effect) was observed in the dependence U b (τ). It is shown that addition of nitrogen to argon substantially narrows the range of τ values at which this effect takes place. To analyze the measurement results, the plasma parameters in a steady-state discharge (in both pure argon and the Ar + 1%N2 mixture) and its afterglow were calculated for the given experimental conditions. Analysis of the experimental data shows that the influence of the nitrogen admixture on the shape of the dependence U b (τ) is, to a large extent, caused by the change in the decay rate of the argon afterglow plasma in the presence of a nitrogen admixture.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 13.H. Raether, Electron Avalanches and Breakdown in Gases (Butterworths, London, 1964).Google Scholar
- 14.Yu. D. Korolev and G. A. Mesyats, Physics of Pulsed Gas Breakdown (Nauka, Moscow, 1991) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 17.A. V. Nedospasov and A. E. Novik, Sov. Phys. Tech. Phys. 5, 1261 (1961).Google Scholar
- 20.M. F. Gendre, M. D. Bowden, H. Haverlag, H. C. M. van den Nieuwenhuizen, J. Gielen, and G. M. W. Kroesen, in Proceedings of Frontiers in Low Temperature Plasma Diagnostics V, Specchia, 2003, Ed. by S. De Benedictis and G. Dilecce, p. 295.Google Scholar
- 30.N. A. Dyatko and A. P. Napartovich, in Proceedings of the 23rd Europhysics Conference on Atomic and Molecular Physics of Ionized Gases, Bratislava, 2016, Report P01-06-07.Google Scholar