Giant pulses of the Crab Nebula pulsar as an indicator of a strong electromagnetic wave
- 40 Downloads
The spectra and visibility functions of giant pulses of the Crab Nebula pulsar derived from VLBI observations carried out through the “RadioAstron” project in 2015 are analyzed. Parameters of the scattering of the pulses in the interstellar medium are measured, namely, the scattering time and decorrelation bandwidth. A comparative analysis of the shapes of the spectra and visibility functions of giant pulses obtained in real observations and via modeling of their scattering is carried out. The results suggest the presence of short bursts (dt < 30 ns) in the structure of the giant pulses at 1668 MHz, whose brightness temperatures exceed 1038 K. These pulses propagate in the pulsar magnetosphere in a strong electromagneticwave regime, leading to the generation of additional radiation perpendicular to the direction of propagation of the giant pulses. This radiation may be associated with anomalous components of the mean pulse profile observed at frequencies above 4 GHz.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.M. V. Popov, A. S. Andrianov, N. Bartel, C. R. Gwinn, M. D. Johnson, B. C. Joshi, N. S. Kardashev, R. Karuppusamy, Y. Y. Kovalev, M. Kramer, A. G. Rudnitskii, E. R. Safutdinov, V. I. Shishov, T. V. Smirnova, V. A. Soglasnov, et al., Astrophys. J. 822 (2) 2016.Google Scholar
- 10.M. V. Popov, A. S. Andrianov, N. Bartel’, K. Gvinn, B. Ch. Dzhoshi, N. S. Kardashev, A. G. Rudnitskii, T. V. Smirnova, V. A. Soglasnov, E. N. Fadeev, and V. I. Shishov, Astron. Rep. 93 (9), 778–794 (2016).Google Scholar
- 13.V. A. Soglasnov, in Neutron Stars and Pulsars: 40 Years after the Discovery, Ed. by W. Becker and H. H. Huang (2007), p.68.Google Scholar
- 25.I. S. Gonorovskii, Radio Technical Circuits and Signals. Textbook forHigher Education (Radio Svyaz’, Moscow, 1986) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 27.L. D. Landau, E. M. Lifshits, Course of Theoretical Physics, Vol. 2: The Classical Theory of Fields (Nauka, Moscow, 1988; Pergamon, Oxford, 1975), Chap. 6.Google Scholar