Flow-Injection Spectrophotometric Determination of Methimazole in Pharmaceuticals Using a Charge Transfer Complex Cu(I)‒Neocuproine
In this work an accurate, fast and high throughput flow procedure was developed in order to determine methimazole in pharmaceutical formulations. The method is based on reduction of Cu(II) to Cu(I) by methimazole in the presence of 2,9-dimethyl-1,10-phenanthroline (neocuproine), followed by the generating a yellow charge-transfer complex that was spectrophotometrically monitored at 455 nm. The methimazole analytical curve was linear in a concentration range from 4.0 × 10–5 to 1.5 × 10–4 M. The sample throughput was 90 h–1 and the relative standard deviation was 0.3% for a methimazole solution. The average recovery was 99%. The developed method is economic due to reduced consumption of samples and reagents. Samples can be analyzed without special pretreatment or using of organic solvents.
Keywordsflow-injection analysis methimazole neocuproine pharmaceutical formulations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Valcárcel, M. and de Castro, M.D., Flow-Injection Analysis: Principles and Applications, Chichester, UK: Ellis Horwood, 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.Suarez, W.T., Pessoa-Neto, O.D., Janegitz, B.C., Vieira, H.J., Faria, R.C., and Fatibello-Filho, O., Anal. Lett., 2011, vol. 44, p. 2384.Google Scholar
- 10.Suarez, W.T., Pessoa-Neto, O.D., Santos, V.B., Nogueira, A.R., Faria, R.C., Fatibello-Filho, O., and Chamarro, J.A., J. Braz. Chem. Soc., 2013, vol. 24, p.847.Google Scholar
- 19.Agência Nacional de Vigilância Sanitária, Formulário Nacional da Farmacopeia Brasileira, Brasília: Divisão de Biblioteca e Documentação do Conjunto das Químicas da USP, 2012, p.27.Google Scholar
- 20.Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, Reynolds, J.E.F., Ed., London: Pharmaceutical Press, 1989, 29th ed.Google Scholar
- 21.Woodrow, R., Colbert, B., and Smith, D.M., Essentials of Pharmacology for Health Occupations, Cengage Learning, 2010, 6th ed.Google Scholar