Application of polyaniline–multiwalled carbon nanotubes composite fiber for determination of benzaldehyde in injectable pharmaceutical formulations by solid-phase microextraction GC–FID using experimental design
A polyaniline–multiwalled carbon nanotubes composite fiber was electrodeposited onto a platinum wire using cyclic voltammetry. This fiber was used for headspace solid-phase microextraction combined with gas chromatography and flame ionization detector of trace levels of benzaldehyde in some injectable pharmaceutical formulations. Three solid-phase microextraction parameters including temperature, time and stirring rate were investigated simultaneously using a three-level-three-factor Box–Behnken as experimental design on the extraction capability. The as-made fiber has a lifetime of over 300 extractions without any obvious decline in extraction efficiency. At the optimum conditions (extraction temperature 60°C, extraction time 15 min, stirring rate 700 rpm), the method displays excellent linearity over the concentration range of 25–1000 ng/mL of benzaldehyde with RSD values ranging from 1.0 to 6.8%. The limits of quantitation and detection were 25 and 10 ng/mL, respectively.
Keywordsbenzaldehyde experimental design solid-phase microextraction GC-FID polyaniline–multiwalled carbon nanotubes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rowe, R.C., Sheskey, P.J., and Quinn, M.E., Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients, London: Pharmaceutical, 2009, 6th ed.Google Scholar
- 6.United States Pharmacopeia 35, The United States Pharmacopeial Convention, Rockville, MD, 2012, vol. 1, p. 1713.Google Scholar
- 7.British Pharmacopoeia, London: Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, 2012, vol. 1, p. 250.Google Scholar
- 9.Sen, I., Shandil, A., and Shrivastava, V.S., Pharm Lett., 2011, vol. 3, p. 218.Google Scholar
- 12.Pawliszyn, J., Handbook of Solid Phase Microextraction, London: Elsevier, 2012.Google Scholar
- 28.Box, G.E.P., Hunter, J.S., and Hunter, W.G., Statistics for Experimenters, New York: Wiley, 2005, 2nd ed.Google Scholar