Localization of Reflectors in Plates by Ultrasonic Testing with Lamb Waves
- 38 Downloads
An algorithm is suggested for localizing flaws in thin-walled objects based on the analysis of dispersion characteristics of Lamb waves. It is shown that applying the technique of determining the instantaneous signal frequency by means of wavelet transform makes it possible to reconstruct extensive sections of frequency dependences of the group delay time for different modes of Lamb waves. An extra merit of the proposed method is its high noise immunity. It has been established that an optimum choice of the frequency range is required to minimize the experimental error, namely, in order to minimize the inaccuracy in determining distance one should choose the dispersion-characteristic section where the group delay time is long as compared with its nominal value while its frequency variation is maximum.
Keywordsultrasonic testing thin-walled objects plates Lamb waves dispersion characteristics instantaneous frequency wavelet transform echo signal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Klyuev, V.V., Ermolov, I.N., and Lange, Yu.V., Nerazrushayushchii kontrol'. Spravochnik. V 7 t. T. 2. Ul’trazvukovoi kontrol' (Nondestructive Testing: a Handbook in 7 Vols. Vol. 2: Ultrasonic Testing), Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 2004.Google Scholar
- 8.Chen, X., Gao, Y., and Bao, L., Lamb wave signal retrieval by wavelet ridge, J. Vibroeng., 2014, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 464–476.Google Scholar
- 10.Terent'ev, D.A. and Elizarov, S.V., Wavelet analysis of AE signals in thin-walled objects, Kontrol’ Diagn., 2008, no. 7, pp. 51–54.Google Scholar
- 11.Terent'ev, D.A., Bulygin, K.A., and Elizarov, S.V., Noise filtration and retrieval of Lamb modes in the oscillograms of AE signals using continuous wavelet transform, Kontrol’ Diagn., 2010, no. 4, pp. 66–68.Google Scholar
- 13.El Allami, M., Rhimini, H., Nassim, A., and Sidki, M., http://www.ejta.orgGoogle Scholar
- 15.Viktorov, I.A., Fizicheskie osnovy primeneniya ul’trazvukovykh voln Releya i Lemba v tekhnike (Physical Foundations of Technical Applications of Ultrasonic Rayleigh and Lamb Waves), Moscow: Nauka, 1966.Google Scholar
- 16.Isakovich, M.A., Obshchaya akustika (General Acoustics), Moscow: Nauka, 1973.Google Scholar
- 17.Egorov, N.N. and Toom, K.E., Using surface and normal waves in ultrasonic nondestructive testing, Kontrol’ Diagn., 2004, no. 6, pp. 56–63.Google Scholar
- 22.Vainshtein, L.A. and Vakman, D.E., Razdelenie chastot v teorii kolebanii i voln (Frequency Separation in the Theory of Vibrations and Waves), Moscow: Nauka, 1983.Google Scholar