Ankaramite: A New Type of High-Magnesium and High-Calcium Primitive Melt in the Magnitogorsk Island-Arc Zone (Southern Urals)
This work describes the geological position, mineral and chemical composition of high-Mg effusive ankaramites occurring as dykes and lava flows. They were found in the mélange zone of the western margin of the Magnitogorsk island arc zone in the Southern Urals. Data on the liquidus association of phenocrysts and on the composition of the matrix of effusives are given. According to the data obtained, the conclusion was drawn that the ankaramites studied can be attributed to the primary island arc melts, which were not subject to essential differentiation. This type of effusives has not been distinguished previously among island arc volcanogenic formations of the Urals. It is shown that ankaramites can be considered to be primary melts parental for dunite–clinopyroxenites–gabbro complexes of Ural–Alaskan type. The occurrence of ankaramites in the Paleozoic island arc formations of the Urals indicates the wehrlite composition of the mantle as the reason for the extremely wide development of wehrlites and clinopyroxenites in different mafic–ultramafic complexes of the Urals.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.E. V. Pushkarev, Petrology of the Uktus Dunite-Clinopyroxenite- Gabbro Massif (the Middle Urals) (Ural Branch Russ. Acad. Sci., Yekaterinburg, 2000) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 3.A. E. Ringwood, Composition and Petrology of the Earth’s Mantle (Nedra, Moscow, 1981) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 4.I. B. Seravkin, A. M. Kosarev, D. N. Salikhov, et al., Volcanism of the Southern Urals (Nauka, Moscow, 1992) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.G. B. Fershtater and E. V. Pushkarev, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Geol., No. 3, 13–23 (1987).Google Scholar
- 6.T. I. Frolova and I. A. Burikova, Geosynclinal Volcanism (Moscow State Univ., Moscow, 1977) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 9.T. N. Irvine, Carnegie Inst. Washington, Year Book 72, 478–491 (1973).Google Scholar
- 12.A. Lacroix, C. R. Hebd. Seances Acad. Sci. 163, 177–183 (1916).Google Scholar
- 15.P. Schiano, J. M. Eiler, I. D. Hutcheon, and E. M. Stolper, Geochem., Geophys., Geosyst., No. 1, 1999GC00000032 (2000).Google Scholar