Remote detection of aftershock activity as a new method of seismic monitoring
- 33 Downloads
A weak seismic event with body wave magnitude 2.1 was detected near the epicenter of an underground explosion conducted by the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) on September 9, 2016. The event occurred approximately two days after the test. Using the method of waveform cross-correlation, two array stations of the International Monitoring System (IMS), USRK and KSRS, recorded the arrival of P n waves. At the same time, this event was not recorded during the standard automatic processing at the International Data Center. The location and other characteristics of this weak event indicate that it is likely to have been an aftershock of the preceding explosion. Based on the successful automatic detection and construction of the event, we conducted an extended investigation, which consisted in searching for secondary seismic phases at the nearest stations that do not belong to the International Monitoring System. The final solution, which is based on waveform cross-correlation, includes stations MDJ (China) and SEHB (Republic of Korea), the aftershock epicenter is located at ~2 km northwest of the epicenter of the DPRK test.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. Kitov, M. Rozhkov, and D. Bobrov, in Proc. Am. Geophys. Union (AGU) Fall Meet. (San-Francisco, CA, 2016), S31A-2703.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Barth, J. Seismol. 18 (3), 605–615 (2014). doi 10.1007/s10950-014-9431-6Google Scholar
- 5.I. O. Kitov and O. P. Kuznetsov, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 315 (4), 839–842 (1990).Google Scholar
- 6.V. V. Adushkin and A. A. Spivak, Geomechanics of Large-Scale Explosions (Nedra, Moscow, 1993) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 8.J. Coyne, D. Bobrov, P. Bormann, E. Duran, P. Grenard, G. Haralabus, I. Kitov, and Yu. Starovoit, in New Manual of Seismological Practice Observatory (NMSOP-2) (GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences, Potsdam, 2012), Chap. 15. doi 10.2312/GFZ.NMSOP_2__chl510.2312/GFZ.NMSOP_2__chlGoogle Scholar
- 9.D. Bobrov, I. Kitov, and M. Rozhkov, in Proc. European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2016 (Vienna, Apr. 17–22, 2016), EGU2016–6620.Google Scholar