Electrochemical Investigation of Activated Carbon Electrode Supercapacitors
- 15 Downloads
Supercapacitors, also called as ultracapacitors, are electrochemical energy-storage devices that exploit the electrostatic interaction between high-surface-area nanoporous electrodes and electrolyte ions, combining properties of conventional batteries and conventional capacitors. A symmetrical activated carbon (AC) electrode supercapacitor has been fabricated in a simple and inexpensive manner. The AC has been synthesized from Charcoal, has activated in a furnace at high temperatures. The electrode was fabricated by casting slurry made of AC and blended in a polymer solution on the counter electrode (current collector), appeared to have high mechanical strength. The electrochemical performance of the prepared samples was tested in 1 M KCl solution by cyclic voltammetry (CV), galvanostatic charge discharge technique, and impedance spectroscopy. The surface and cross-section of electrode was observed with SEM. Capacitance of fabricated supercapacitor has a favorable capacitance in the range of 65–70 F/g with low resistance. The AC electrode supercapacitor has excellent electro chemical reversibility, good cycle stability with a low fading rate of specific capacitance even after 500 cycles, which is promising for energy storage applications.
Keywordsspecific capacitance cyclic voltammetry impedance spectroscopy galvanostatic charge and discharge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.EC-Lab–Application note no. 51, Supercapacitor characterization by galvanostatic polarization method, Appl. Surf. Sci. http://www.biologic.info/assets/app notes/20140430 Application note 51.pdf.Google Scholar
- 5.Lei, C. and Lekakou, C., Cargon-based nanocomposite EDLC supercapacitors, NSTI Conference, Guildford, UK: University of Surrey, Faculty of Engineering and Physical Sciences, Surrey GU2 7XH.Google Scholar
- 7.Natalia, M., Sudhakar, Y.N., and Selvakumar, M., Activated carbon derived from natural sources and electrochemical capacitance of double layer capacitor, Indian J. Chem. Technol., 2013, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 392–399.Google Scholar
- 8.Sharmila Devi, R. and Sebastian Antony Selvan, C., Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles loaded with activated carbon and its characterization, Int. J. Res. Chem. Environ., vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 24–27.Google Scholar
- 12.Chuen-Chang Lin and Yi-Wei Lin, Synthesis of carbon nanotube/graphene composites by one-step chemical vapor deposition for electrodes of electrochemical capacitors, J. Nanomaterials, 2015, Article ID741928.Google Scholar
- 13.Basri, N.H., Mohamad Deraman, Mohd Suleman, Najah Syahirah Mohd Nor, Besek Nurdiana Mohamad Dolah, Muhammad Izhar Sahri, Siti Aisyah Shamsudin, Energy and Power of supercapacitor using carbon electrode deposited with nanoparticles nickel oxide, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 2016, vol. 11, pp. 95–110.Google Scholar
- 14.Kim, K., High operating voltage supercapacitor using PPy/AC composite electrode based on simple dipping method, J. Chem., 2015, vol. 2015, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar