Investigation of Oleate-Diethylamine-Epichlorohydrin Copolymer as a Clay Swelling Inhibitor for Shale Oil/Gas Exploration
- 10 Downloads
Oleate graft copolyammonium (OGCA) was prepared and its performance as a shale inhibitor was evaluated by bentonite linear expansion test, anti-swelling experiments, mud ball experiments in water-based drilling fluid. Anti-swelling results shows that anti-swelling rate of OGCA reaches up to 89.7% and OGCA has strong inhibitive capability to bentonite hydration swelling confirmed by the result of mud ball experiment. From the results it was found that both OGCA and modified starch have an excellent synergetic defiltration effect on the water-based drilling fluid. The good performance of OGCA as a shale inhibitor should be contributed to its good capacity of controlling the particle size of bentonite. The inhibition mechanism of the polyamine salt was analyzed by thermogravimetric analysis and scanning electron microscope.
Keywordsgraft copolyammonium shale swelling particle size inhibition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. H. Retz, J. Friedheim, L. J. Lee, and O. O. Welch, “An environmentally acceptable and field-practical, cationic polymer mud system”, in Offshore Europe Conf. (Aberdeen, 1991), Paper SPE 23064.Google Scholar
- 2.J. J. Sheu and A. C. Perricone, “Design and synthesis of shale stabilizing polymers for water-based drilling fluids”, in Annual Technical Conf. and Exhibition (Texas, 1988), Paper SPE 18033.Google Scholar
- 3.E. Stamatakis, C. J. Thaemlitz, G. Coffin, and W. Reid, “A new generation of shale inhibitors for water-based muds”, in SPE/IADC 29406, 1995 SPE/IADC Drilling Conf. (Amsterdam, 1995).Google Scholar
- 6.A. D. Patel, “Design and development of quaternary amine compounds: Shale inhibition with improved environmental profile”, in The Int. Symp. on Oilfield Chemistry, Paper SPE 121737, 2009, p.20.Google Scholar
- 9.N. G. Doonechaly, K. Tahmasbi, and E. Davani, “Development of high-performance water-based mud formulation based on amine derivatives”, presented at The Int. Symp. Oilfield Chemistry, Paper SPE 121228, 2009, p.21.Google Scholar
- 10.Z. S. Qiu, H. Y. Zhong, and W. A. Huang, Acta Pet. Sinica 32, 678 (2011).Google Scholar
- 11.D. Cai, J. Zhang, and G. Chen, Oilfield Chem. 31, 5 (2014).Google Scholar
- 12.J. Zhang, Q. Zhang, and G. Chen, Tech. Dev. Chem. Ind. 42, 1 (2013).Google Scholar
- 13.J. Zhang, D. Cai, and G. Chen, Nat. Gas Ind. 34, 85 (2014).Google Scholar