Stability of the Kolmogorov flow and its modifications
Recurrence formulas are obtained for the kth term of the long wavelength asymptotics in the stability problem for general two-dimensional viscous incompressible shear flows. It is shown that the eigenvalues of the linear eigenvalue problem are odd functions of the wave number, while the critical values of viscosity are even functions. If the velocity averaged over the long period is nonzero, then the loss of stability is oscillatory. If the averaged velocity is zero, then the loss of stability can be monotone or oscillatory. If the deviation of the velocity from its period-average value is an odd function of spatial variable about some x 0, then the expansion coefficients of the velocity perturbations are even functions about x 0 for even powers of the wave number and odd functions about for x 0 odd powers of the wave number, while the expansion coefficients of the pressure perturbations have an opposite property. In this case, the eigenvalues can be found precisely. As a result, the monotone loss of stability in the Kolmogorov flow can be substantiated by a method other than those available in the literature.
Keywordsstability of two-dimensional viscous flows Kolmogorov flow long wavelength asymptotics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.V. I. Arnol’d and L. D. Meshalkin, “A.N. Kolmogorov’s seminar on selected problems in analysis (1958–1959),” Usp. Mat. Nauk 15 (1), 247–250 (1960).Google Scholar
- 4.L. D. Meshalkin and Ya. G. Sinai, “Stability analysis of the stationary solution to a system of equations governing viscous incompressible planar flows,” Prikl. Mat. Mekh. 25 (6), 1140–1143 (1961).Google Scholar
- 9.S. O. Belotserkovskii, A. P. Mirabel’, and M. A. Chusov, “Construction of a postcritical regime for plane periodic flow,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR Fiz. Atmos. Okeana 14 (1), 11–20 (1978).Google Scholar
- 17.V. I. Yudovich, “Instability of viscous incompressible parallel flows with respect to spatially periodic perturbations,” in Numerical Methods for Problems in Mathematical Physics (Nauka, Moscow, 1966), pp. 242–249 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 22.S. V. Revina, “Long wavelength asymptotics for the problem of stability of time periodic flows,” Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Modern Problems in Continuum Mechanics (Southern Federal Univ., Rostov- on-Don, 2011), Vol. 1, pp. 204–208.Google Scholar
- 25.S. V. Revina, Stability of the Kolmogorov Flow and Its Modifications, Available from VINITI, No. 8-B2016 (Moscow, 2016).Google Scholar