Analysis of the Glass-Forming Ability of Fe–Er Alloys, Based on Thermodynamic Modeling
- 12 Downloads
The Fe–Er phase diagram and thermodynamic properties of all its phases are assessed by means of self-consistent analysis. To refine the data on phase equilibria in the Fe–Er system, an investigation is performed in the 10–40 at % range of Er concentrations. The temperature–concentration dependences of the thermodynamic properties of a melt are presented using the model of ideal associated solutions. Thermodynamic parameters of each phase are obtained, and the calculated results are in agreement with available experimental data. The correlation between the thermodynamic properties of liquid Fe–Er alloys and their tendency toward amorphization are studied. It is shown that compositions of amorphous alloys prepared by melt quenching coincide with the ranges of concentration with the predominance of Fe3Er and FeEr2 associative groups that have large negative entropies of formation.
Keywordsamorphous alloys glass-forming ability thermodynamic modeling associated solutions phase diagram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.A. I. Zaitsev, B. M. Mogutnov, and E. Kh. Shakhpazov, Amorphization of Metallic Melts (Interkontakt Nauka, Moscow, 2011) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.N. A. Arutyunyan, A. I. Zaitsev, A. V. Knyazev, and S. F. Dunaev, Probl. Chern. Metall. Materialoved., No. 1, 35 (2013).Google Scholar
- 7.A. S. Andreenko, A. K. Zvezdin, S. A. Nikitin, et al., Sov. Phys. JETP 72, 301 (1991).Google Scholar
- 10.S. Ishio, J. Phys. (Paris) 49, 1347 (1988).Google Scholar
- 15.B. Konar, Master’s Thesis (McGill Univ., Montreal, 2011).Google Scholar
- 18.V. E. Kolesnikov, V. F. Terekhova, and E. M. Savitskii, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Neorg. Mater. 7, 495 (1971).Google Scholar
- 19.H. Okamoto, in Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams, 2nd ed., Ed. T. B. Massalski (ASM Int., Materials Park, Ohio, 1990), Vol. 2, 1580.Google Scholar
- 20.State Diagrams of Binary Metallic Systems, Ed. by N. P. Lyakishev (Mashinostroenie, Moscow, 1997) [in Russian].Google Scholar