Influence of Hydrogen Bond on Thermal and Phase Transitions of Binary Complex Liquid Crystals
- 20 Downloads
A novel supramolecular liquid crystal (LC) is synthesized from the binary complex of 4-decyloxy benzoic acid and cholesteryl acetate. Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopic study confirms the formation of intermolecular hydrogen bond between the mesogens. Various mesophases and corresponding textural changes in the complex are observed by comparing with its constituents through polarizing optical microscopic (POM) studies. The thermal stability factor of smectic phase for present complex is calculated. An interesting observation of present work is that investigation of extended thermal span of mesomorphic phases, decreased enthalpy, a nematic phase with a high clearing point and a low melting point. This is due to an arrangement of molecular reorientations and the development of new associations by hydrogen bonding. Optical tilt angle for smectic C phase is determined and the same is fitted to a power law.
Keywordshydrogen bonded liquid crystals binary complex nematic smectic POM DSC
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.J. M. S. Fonseca, L. M. N. B. F. Santos, and M. J. S. Monte, J. Chem. Eng. 55, 2238 (2010).Google Scholar
- 12.J. W. Goodby, Ferroelectric Liquid Crystals (Gordon and Breach Science, London, UK, 1992).Google Scholar
- 24.V. N. Vijayakumar and M. L. N. Madhu Mohan, Condens. Matter 406, 4139 (2011).Google Scholar
- 29.K. Nakamoto, Infrared and Raman Spectra of Inorganic and Coordination Compounds, 4th ed. (Interscience, New York, 1978).Google Scholar
- 30.T. Mitsuo, Introduction to Experimental Infrared Spectroscopy, Fundamentals, and Practical Methods, 1st ed. (Wiley, New York, 2015).Google Scholar
- 33.G. W. Gray and J. W. G. Goodby, Smectic Liquid Crystals, Textures and Structures (Leonard Hill, London, 1984).Google Scholar
- 34.H. Kelker and R. Hatz, Handbook of Liquid Crystals (Chemie, Weinheim, 1980).Google Scholar
- 36.G. W. Gray, Molecular Structure and the Properties of Liquid Crystals (Academic, London, 1962).Google Scholar
- 37.D. John and A. Saupe, Phys. Rev. Lett. 15, 2079 (1977).Google Scholar
- 39.H. E. Stanley, Introduction to Phase Transition and Critical Phenomena (Clarendon, Oxford, 1971).Google Scholar