Torsional Post-Buckling of a Simply Supported Thin-Walled Open-Section Beam Resting on a Two-Parameter Foundation
- 14 Downloads
The problem of the post-buckling response of a simply supported thin-walled beam subjected to an axial compressive load and supported by the Winkler–Pasternak foundation is studied in this paper. The strains are assumed to be small and elastic. The shear deformations and the in-plane cross-sectional deformations are assumed to be negligible. The post-buckling paths of the simply supported beam are determined for different values of the Winkler and Pasternak stiffness parameters. Bifurcation points are found.
Keywordsbeam open section post-buckling warping Winkler–Pasternak foundation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. P. Timoshenko and J. M. Gere, Theory of Elastic Stability (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1961), pp. 212–229.Google Scholar
- 2.V. Z. Vlasov, Thin-Walled Elastic Beams (Nat. Sci. Foundation, Washington, 1961).Google Scholar
- 5.M. S. G. Cullimore, “The Shortening Effect—A Non-Linear Feature of Pure Torsion,” in Engineering Structures (Butterworths, London, 1949), pp. 153–164.Google Scholar
- 8.Z. P. Bazant and M. El Nimeiri, “Large Deflections Spatial Buckling of Thin-Walled Beams and Frames,” J. Eng. Mech. Div. Proc. ASCE 99, 1259–1281 (1973).Google Scholar
- 15.C. Kameswara Rao, B. V. R. Gupta, and D. L. N. Rao, “Torsional Vibrations of Thin-Walled Beams on Continuous Elastic Foundations using Finite Element Method,” in Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Finite Element Methods in Engineering (Coimbatore Inst. of Technol., Coimbatore, 1974), pp. 231–248.Google Scholar
- 17.M. Hatenyi, Beams on Elastic Foundation (Univ. Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, 1946), pp. 151–155.Google Scholar
- 18.A. P. S. Selvadurai, Elastic Analysis of Soil-Foundation Interaction (Elsevier, New York, 1979).Google Scholar
- 20.P. D. Sim˜ao, “Post-Buckling Bifurcational Analysis of Thin-Walled Prismatic Members in the Context of the Generalized Beam Theory,” Ph.D. Thesis (Univ. Coimbra, Coimbra, 2007).Google Scholar
- 23.M. Kujawa, “Torsion of Restrained Thin-Walled Bars of Open Constant Bi-Symmetric Cross-Section,” Task Quart. 16 (1), 5–15 (2011).Google Scholar
- 25.M. Kujava and C. Szymczak, “Elastic Distortional Buckling of Thin-Walled Bars of Closed Quadratic Cross Section,” Mech. Mech. Eng. 17 (2), 119–126 (2013).Google Scholar
- 26.P. L. Pasternak, Fundamentals of a New Method for Calculating Elastic Two-Parameter Foundations (Gos. Izd. Lit. Stroit. Arkhit., Moscow, 1954) [in Russian].Google Scholar