Possible Mechanism for Damping of Electrostatic Instability Related to Inhomogeneous Distribution of Energy Density in the Auroral Ionosphere
- 4 Downloads
Satellite observations show that the electrostatic instability, which is expected to occur in most cases due to an inhomogeneous energy density caused by a strongly inhomogeneous transverse electric field (shear of plasma convection velocity), occasionally does not develop inside nonlinear plasma structures in the auroral ionosphere, even though the velocity shear is sufficient for its excitation. In this paper, it is shown that the instability damping can be caused by out-of-phase variations of the electric field and field-aligned current acting in these structures. Therefore, the mismatch of sources of free energy required for the wave generation nearly nullifies their common effect.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chernyshov, A.A., Il’yasov, A.A., Mogilevsky, M.M., Golovchanskaya, I.V., and Kozelov, B.V., Influence of inhomogeneities of the plasma density and electric field on the generation of electrostatic noise in the auroral zone, Plasma Phys. Rep., 2015, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 254–261.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Golovchanskaya, I.V., Kozelov, B.V., Mingalev, I.V., Melnik, M.N., and Lubchic, A.A., Evaluation of a spaceobserved electric field structure for the ability to destabilize inhomogeneous energy-density-driven waves, Ann. Geophys., 2014a, vol. 32, pp. 1–6. doi 10.5194/angeo-32-12014CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ilyasov, A.A., Chernyshov, A.A., Mogilevsky, M.M., Golovchanskaya, I.V., and Kozelov, B.V., Influences of shear in the ion parallel drift velocity and of inhomogeneous perpendicular electric field on generation of oblique ion acoustic waves, J. Geophys. Res., 2016, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 2693–2703. doi 10.1002/2015JA022117CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kadomtsev, B.B, Mikhailovskii, A.B., and Timofeev, A.V., Negative-energy waves in dispersive media, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 1964, vol. 47, pp. 2266–2269.Google Scholar
- Nezlin, M.V., Negative-energy waves and the anomalous Doppler effect, Phys.-Usp., 1976, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 946–954.Google Scholar
- Pokhotelov, O.A., Onishchenko, O.G., Sagdeev, R.Z., and Treumann, R.A., Nonlinear dynamics of inertial Alfvén waves in the upper ionosphere: Parametric generation of electrostatic convective cells, J. Geophys. Res., 2003, vol. 108, no. A7. doi 10.1029/2003JA009888Google Scholar
- Tam, S.W.Y., Chang, T., Kintner, P.M., and Klatt, E., Intermittency analyses on the SIERRA measurements of the electric field fluctuations in the auroral zone, Geophys. Res. Lett., 2005, vol. 32, no. 5. doi 10.1029/2004GL021445Google Scholar