Correction of Electron Density Profiles in the Low Ionosphere Based on the Data of Vertical Sounding with the IRI Model
- 14 Downloads
The method of correcting the daytime vertical profiles of electron plasma frequency in the low ionosphere from International Refererence Ionosphere (IRI) model in accordance with the measured data of the virtual heights and absorption of signal radiowaves (method А1) reflected from the bottom of E-region at vertical sounding (VS) is presented. The method is based on the replacement of the IRI model profile by an approximation of analytical dependence with parameters determined according to VS data and partially by the IRI model. The method is tested by the results of four joint ground-based and rocket experiments carried out in the 1970s at midlatitudes of the European part of Russia upon the launches of high-altitude geophysical rockets of the Vertical series. It is shown that the consideration of both virtual reflection heigths and absorption makes it possible to obtain electron density distributions that show the best agreement with the rocket measurements made at most height ranges in the D- and E-regions. In additional, the obtained distributions account more adequately than the IRI model for the contributions of D- and E-regions to absorption of signals reflected above these regions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bilitza, D., Altadill, D., Zhang, Y., et al., The international reference ionosphere 2012–A model of international collaboration, J. Space Weather Space Clim., 2014, vol. 4, no. A07. doi 10.1051/swsc/2014004Google Scholar
- Biryukov, A.V., Danilkin, N.P., Denisenko, P.F., et al., Photochemistry of the lower F-region and structural ionospheric parameters according to data from joint ground-based and rocket experiments, Kosm. Issled., 1980, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 748–753.Google Scholar
- Budden, K.G., Effect of electron collisions on the formulas of magneto-ionic theory, Radio Sci., 1965, vol. 69D, no. 2, pp. 191–211.Google Scholar
- Danilkin, N.P., Denisenko, P.F., Sushchii, S.M., Faer, Yu.N., and Chasovitin, Yu.K., A modified method for determining model N(h)-profiles of the lower ionosphere, Phys. Solariterr., Potsdam, 1977, no. 4, pp. 101–111.Google Scholar
- Danilkin, N.P., Denisenko, P.F., Vodolazkin, V.I., Sushchii, S.M., and Faer, Yu.N., Effective frequency of electron collisions in the ionospheric E-region, Geomagn. Aeron., 1978, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 154–155.Google Scholar
- Danilkin, N.P., Denisenko, P.F., and Sotsky, V.V., Study of the accuracy of operational control of the D-region ionization according to radiosonde data, Ionos. Issled., 1981, no. 34, pp. 102–111.Google Scholar
- Danilkin, N.P., Denisenko, P.F., Rudakov, V.A., Sotsky, V.V., Faer, Yu.N., and Vodolazkin, V.I., Results of joint measurements of the concentration and effective frequency of electron collisions in the ionosphere using rocket and ground-based radio methods during launches of Vertikal geophysical rockets, in Raketnoe zondirovanie verkhnei atmosfery i ionosfery do vysoty 1500 km (Rocket Sounding of the Upper Atmosphere and Ionosphere up to 1500 km in Altitude), Rostov-on-Don: Rostov. univ., 1989, pp. 42–49.Google Scholar
- Denisenko, P.F. and Sotsky, V.V., Peculiarities of inverse problems of vertical sounding of the ionosphere (review), Izv. Sev.-Kavk. Nauchn. Tsentra Vyssh. Shk.: Estestv. Nauki, 1987, no. 2, pp. 59–71.Google Scholar
- Groves, G.V., Seasonal and latitudinal models of atmospheric temperature, pressure and density, 25 to 110 km, Air Force Cambridge Res. Lab. L.G. Hanson Field, Mass, 1970.Google Scholar