Preemptive scheduling of independent jobs on identical parallel machines subject to migration delays
- 64 Downloads
We present hardness and approximation results for the problem of preemptive scheduling of n independent jobs on m identical parallel machines subject to a migration delay d with the objective to minimize the makespan. We give a sharp threshold on the value of d for which the complexity of the problem changes from polynomial time solvable to NP-hard. Next, we give initial results supporting a conjecture that there always exists an optimal schedule with at most m − 1 job migrations. Finally, we provide a O(n) time (1 + 1/log2 n)-approximation algorithm for m = 2.
KeywordsRemote Control Completion Time Optimal Schedule Feasible Schedule Communication Delay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Tanaev, V.S., Gordon, V.S., and Shafransky, Ya.N., Teoriya raspisanii. Odnostadiinye sistemy (Theory of Scheduling. Single-stage Systems), Moscow: Nauka, 1984.Google Scholar
- 5.Karp, R.M., Reducibility among Combinatorial Problems, in Complexity of Computer Computations, Miller, R.E. and Thatcher, J.W., Eds., New York: Plenum, 1972, pp. 85–103.Google Scholar
- 8.Gordon, V.S. and Tanaev, V.S., Interruptions in Deterministic Systems with Parallel Machines and Arbitrary Release Dates, in Optimization of Collecting, Transmitting and Processing the Analogous and Discrete Information in Local ICS, Proc. of the 1st Joint Soviet-bulgarian Workshop of IEC AS BSSR—IEC BAS, Minsk, 1973, pp. 36–50.Google Scholar
- 9.Tanaev, V.S., Interruptions in Deterministic Service Systems with Identical Parallel Machines, Izv. Akad. Nauk BSSR, Ser. Fiz.-mat. Nauk, 1973, no. 6, pp. 44–48.Google Scholar
- 13.Engels, D.W., Feldman, J., Karger, D.R., and Ruhl, M., Parallel Processor Scheduling with Delay Constraints, in Proc. of the SODA, Washington, 2001, pp. 577–585.Google Scholar
- 15.Engels, D.W., Scheduling for Hardware-software Partitioning in Embedded System Design, PhD Thesis, Cambridge: Massachusetts Inst. of Technology, 2000.Google Scholar
- 17.Blum, M., Floyd, R., Pratt, V., Rivest, R., and Tarjan, R., Time Bounds for Selection, J. Comp. Syst. Sci., 1973.Google Scholar