Algorithms for some maximization scheduling problems on a single machine
- 49 Downloads
In this paper, we consider two scheduling problems on a single machine, where a specific objective function has to be maximized in contrast to usual minimization problems. We propose exact algorithms for the single machine problem of maximizing total tardiness 1‖max-ΣT j and for the problem of maximizing the number of tardy jobs 1‖maxΣU j . In both cases, it is assumed that the processing of the first job starts at time zero and there is no idle time between the jobs. We show that problem 1‖max-ΣT j is polynomially solvable. For several special cases of problem 1‖maxΣT j , we present exact polynomial algorithms. Moreover, we give an exact pseudo-polynomial algorithm for the general case of the latter problem and an alternative exact algorithm.
KeywordsRemote Control Optimal Schedule Idle Time Single Machine Total Tardiness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Gafarov, E.P. and Lazarev, A.A., A Special Case of the Single-machine Total Tardiness Problem is NP-hard, Izv. Ross. Akad. Nauk, Teor. Sist. Upravlen., 2006, no. 3, pp. 120–128.Google Scholar
- 7.Lazarev, A.A. and Gafarov, E.R., Teoriya raspisanii. Minimizatsiya summarnogo zapazdyvaniya dlya odnogo pribora (Scheduling Theory. Minimizing Total Delay for a Single Device), Moscow: Vychisl. Tsentr Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2006.Google Scholar
- 9.Huang, R.H. and Yang, C.L., Single-Machine Scheduling to Minimize the Number of Early Jobs, IEEE Int. Conf. Indust. Eng. Eng. Manage., 2007, art.no. 4419333, pp. 955–957.Google Scholar
- 11.Lazarev, A.A., Kvaratskhelia, A.G., and Gafarov, E.R., Algorithms for Solving the NP-Hard Problem of Minimizing Total Tardiness for a Single Machine, Dokl. Akad. Nauk, Math., 2007, vol. 412, no. 6, pp. 739–742.Google Scholar
- 12.Gafarov, E.R., Lazarev, A.A., and Werner, F., Algorithms for Maximizing the Number of Tardy Jobs or Total Tardiness on a Single Machine, Preprint of Otto-von-Guericke-Universität, Magdeburg, 2009, no. 38/09.Google Scholar