Simulation of the quasi-biennial oscillations of the zonal wind in the equatorial stratosphere: Part I. Low-parameter models
The paper focuses on the simulation of the quasi-biennial oscillations (QBOs) of zonal velocity in the equatorial stratosphere. Low-parameter models are used to examine two mechanisms for excitation of the QBO: one through the interaction of planetary waves with the mean flow at critical levels and another through gravity-wave obliteration. The possible use of each of these mechanisms for generating the QBO is shown, the ranges of parameter values where this generation is possible are determined, and the dependences of the period and amplitude of the limit cycle on the model parameters are analyzed. A relative role of waves of different scales in the formation of the period of the oscillations of zonal wind is studied with a coupled model combining both mechanisms. The conditions that are required to reproduce the QBO in general circulation models are discussed.
KeywordsGravity Wave Zonal Wind Oceanic Physic Phase Speed Planetary Wave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.J. R. Holton and H. C. Tan, “The Influence of the Equatorial Quasi-Biennial Oscillation on the Global Atmospheric Circulation at 50 mb,” J. Atmos. Sci. 37, 2200–2208.Google Scholar
- 8.A. N. Gruzdev and V. A. Bezverkhnii, “Long-Term Variations in the Quasi-Biennial Oscillation of the Equatorial Stratospheric Wind,” Izv. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana 35, 773–785 (1999) [Izv., Atmos. Ocean. Phys. 35, 700–711 (1999)].Google Scholar
- 10.J. A. Knaff, “Evidence of a Stratospheric QBO Modulation of Tropical Covection,” Paper No. 520 (Dept. of Atmospheric Science, Colorado State Univ., Fort Collins, 1993).Google Scholar
- 16.V. S. Purganskii, “On the Motion of the Atmosphere in the Equatorial Latitudes,” Meteorol. Gidrol., No. 11, 3–13 (1965).Google Scholar
- 17.E. B. Gledzer and A. M. Oboukhov, “Quasi-Biennial Oscillation As a Parametric Phenomenon in the Climate System,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana 18, 1154–1158 (1982).Google Scholar
- 18.I. I. Mokhov, V. A. Bezverkhnii, and A. V. Eliseev, “Atmospheric Temperature Quasi-Biennial Oscillation and Its Tendencies for Change,” Izv. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana 33, 579–587 (1997) [Izv., Atmos. Ocean. Phys. 33, 533–541 (1997)].Google Scholar
- 29.I. I. Mokhov and A. V. Eliseev, “Changes in the Characteristics of the Quasi-Biennial Oscillation of Zonal Wind and Temperature in the Equatorial Lower Stratosphere,” Izv. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana 34, 327–336 (1998) [Izv., Atmos. Ocean. Phys. 34, 291–299 (1998)].Google Scholar