Experimental Production of Cu–Cr–N Composite Alloys and Thermodynamic Modeling of Their Phase Composition
- 1 Downloads
Composite Cu–Cr–N alloys were obtained in situ under vibration of “copper melt–chromium powder” compositions before their crystallization. Two types of alloys were prepared, where chromium powder was freely dispersed or compacted into a tablet. Atmospheric nitrogen was used as a source of chromium nitrides in the alloys. The microstructure of the alloys is represented by a copper matrix hardened with chromium particles and numerous inclusions of nonstoichiometric chromium nitrides Cr2N1 – x. Thermodynamic modeling showed that the composition and quantities of chromium nitrides in the Cu–Cr–N alloy depend on the partial pressure of nitrogen above the melt.
Keywords:composite alloy copper chromium chromium nitrides in situ synthesis vibration thermodynamic modeling
We thank TESCAN Ltd. for help in performing the research.
The research was carried out within the framework of the state assignment to the Institute of Metallurgy, Ural Branch, Russian Academy of Sciences, by subject no. 0396-2015-0078 with use of equipment of the Center of Collective Use Ural-M.
- 2.Durakov, V.G., Gnyusov, S.F., Dampilon, B.V., and Dekhonova, S.Z., Self-organization of the CuCr structure of the contact material of vacuum switches at electron-beam action, Izv. Tomsk. Politekh.Univ., 2014, vol. 324, no. 2, pp. 96–100.Google Scholar
- 3.Aksenov, A.A., Prosviryakov, A.S., Kudashev, D.V., and Gershman, I.S., Structure and properties of composite materials based on the Cu–Cr system obtained by mechanical alloying, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Tsvetn. Metall., 2004, no. 6, pp. 39–46.Google Scholar
- 4.Mao, B., Zhang, Y., Zhao, Y., and Liu, G., Two new Cu–Cr alloy contact materials, IEEE 19th International Symposium on Discharges and Electrical Insulation in Vacuum, Piscataway, NJ: Inst. Electr. Electron. Eng., 2000, pp. 729–732. https://doi.org/10.1109/DEIV.2000.879092
- 6.Korzhov, V.P., Sintered powder billets of an electrocontact alloy Cu–30% Cr clad with a cast alloy of the same composition, Fiz. Tekh. Vys. Davlenii (Donetsk), 2009, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 97–100.Google Scholar
- 7.Braverman, B.Sh., Production technology of chromium nitrides by self-propagating high-temperature synthesis, Extended Abstract of Cand. Sci. (Eng.) Dissertation, Tomsk, 2008.Google Scholar
- 8.Samsonov, G.V., Nitridy (Nitrides), Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 1969.Google Scholar
- 9.Toth, L., Transition Metal Carbides and Nitrides, Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1971.Google Scholar
- 10.Kochetkova, L.P., Metallurgicheskie protsessy v mahsinostroitel’nom proizvodstve: Uchebnoe posobie (Metallurgical Processes in Machine Engineering Industry: Manual), Kirov: Vyatsk. Gos. Univ., 2005.Google Scholar
- 11.Tolbanova, L.O. and Il’in, A.P., RF Patent 2359785, 2009.Google Scholar
- 12.Bodrova, L.E., Pastukhov, E.A., and Goida, E.Yu., The influence of mechanical activation on self-dispergation of carbide phases in Cu–W–Nb–C alloys, Rasplavy, 2015, no. 6, pp. 11–16.Google Scholar
- 13.Bodrova, L.E. and Shubin, A.B., Formation of fine disperse structure of NbC in composite alloys Cu–NbC–WC, Perspekt. Mater., 2017, no. 2, pp. 43–50.Google Scholar
- 14.Ignat’ev, I., Pastukhov, E., and Bodrova, L., Metod polucheniya splavov nizkochastotnoi obrabotkoi ikh rasplavov (Production of Alloys by Low-Frequency Treatment of Their Melts), Saarbrucken: LAP LAMBERT Academic, 2013.Google Scholar
- 15.Diagrammy sostoyaniya dvoinykh metallicheskikh sistem. Spravochnik (State Diagrams of Binary Metal Systems: Handbook), Lyakishev, N.P., Ed., Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1997, vol. 2.Google Scholar
- 16.Tikhonovskii, M.A., Analysis of directed phase transformations and development of microcomposite materials at the Kharkov Institute of Physics and Technology, Vopr. At. Nauki Tekh., Ser.: Vak., Chist. Mater., Sverkhprovodn., 2004, no. 6 (14), pp. 115–127.Google Scholar
- 17.Baker, H., Okamoto, H., et al., ASM Handbook, Vol. 3: Alloy Phase Diagrams, Materials Park: ASM Int., 1992.Google Scholar
- 21.Chase, M.W., Jr., NIST-JANAF Thermochemical Tables, Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data Monographs vol. 9, College Park, MR: Am. Inst. Phys., 1998, 4th ed.Google Scholar
- 22.Braverman, B.Sh., Large-scale effect in self-propagating high-temperature synthesis of chromium nitrides, Khim. and Khim. Tekhnol., 2009, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 124–125.Google Scholar