Strength Improvement of Metals Produced by Selective Laser Melting of Powders
Standard samples for mechanical tests have been produced by selective laser melting (SLM) of metal powders of various chemical compositions. It has been determined that strength properties of all SLM samples are higher than those of solid samples of the same chemical composition. It has been established that the factors of strength improvement are vapor condensed nanoparticles above the melting zone and ultrafine grain structure formed at the stage of crystallization.
Keywords:additive technologies selective laser melting metal powders strengthening mechanism
Experimental studies were performed using the equipment of the Shared Research Facility Composition, Structure, and Properties of Structural and Functional Materials (NRC Kurchatov Institute—CRISM Prometey) and supported by the Ministry of Education and Science (unique identifier: RFMEF159517X0004).
This work was supported by the Russian Science Foundation: Fundamental and Pilot Studies in the Top Priority Fields (project no. 15-19-00210).
- 1.Grigor’yants, A.G., Kolchanov, D.S., Malov, I.E., and Tret’yakov, R.S., Selective laser melting of metallic powders, growing of thin-walled and grid structures, Tekhnol. Mashinoter., 2015, no. 10, pp. 6–11.Google Scholar
- 2.Barakhtin, B.K., Bobyr’, V.V., Voznyuk, A.V., Deev, A.A., Zhukov, A.S., and Kuznetsov, P.A., Optimization of technological parameters and determination of selective laser melting modes of 316L-based composition powder, Vopr. Materialoved., 2017, no. 2 (90), pp. 146–152.Google Scholar
- 3.Stucker, B., Rosen, D.W., and Gibson, I., Additive Manufacturing Technologies: 3D Printing, Rapid Prototyping, and Direct Digital Manufacturing, New York: Springer-Verlag, 2009.Google Scholar
- 5.Shishkovskii, I.V., Lazernyi sintez funktsional’no-gradientnykh mezostruktur i ob”emnykh izdelii (Laser Synthesis of Functional Gradient Mesostructures and 3D Products), Moscow: Fizmatlit, 2009.Google Scholar
- 8.Barakhtin, B.K., Zhukov, A.S., Staritsyn, M.V., and Verhsinina, N.A., The structure of aggregation obtained by selective laser melting of iron powder, in Fiziko-khimicheskie aspekty izucheniya klasterov, nano-struktur i nanomaterialov (Physical-Chemical Aspects in the Study of Clusters, Nanostructures, and Nanomaterials), Tver: Tversk. Gos. Univ., 2017, no. 9, pp. 71–80.Google Scholar
- 10.Postnikov, V.S. and Kalashnikova, M.S., The surface layer structure after laser alloying of low-carbon constructional steels, Fiz. Khim. Obrab. Mater., 1999, no. 6, pp. 47–51.Google Scholar
- 11.Belova, S.A., Kalashnikova, M.S., and Postnikov, V.S., Formation of the structure of surface layers of steels by laser alloying, Vestn. Perm. Gos. Tekh. Univ., Mashinostr., Materialoved., 2010, no. 2 (12), pp. 93–105.Google Scholar