Structure Formation during Phase Separation of Poly(D,L-Lactide)–Tetraglycol–Antisolvent Ternary System
The diffusion and structure formation processes during phase separation of poly(D,L)-lactide solutions in tetraglycol and their antisolvent deposition in aqueous medium are experimentally studied. The effect of the molecular weight of polymers, the initial concentrations of their solutions, and the composition of antisolvent medium on the type of structures formed is studied. We find that either fractal-like or spongy polymer structures are formed as a result of phase separation processes. We show that the structure type depends on the intensity of diffusion processes in the polylactide–tetraglycol–antisolvent ternary system.
Keywords:biocompatible polymers matrices phase separation structure antisolvent tetraglycol polylactide
We are grateful to senior researcher A.N. Konovalov (Institute of Photonic Technologies, Federal Research Center Crystallography and Photonics, Russian Academy of Sciences) for his advice and assistance in optical densitometry measurements.
This work was supported by the Russian Ministry of Science and Higher Education as a part of the state task for the Federal Research Center Crystallography and Photonics (Russian Academy of Sciences) in the study of rheological properties of compositions and by the Russian Science Foundation (Russian Foundation for Basic Research project no. 16-29-11722) in the study of structure formation and diffusion processes.
CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Papkov, S.P., Fiziko-khimicheskie osnovy pererabotki rastvorov polimerov (Physico-Chemical Basis for Processing of Polymer Solutions), Moscow: Khimiya, 1971.Google Scholar
- 3.Vlasov, S.V., Kandyrin, L.B., and Kuleznev, V.N., Osnovy tekhnologii pererabotki plastmass (The Technology of Plastics Processing), Moscow: Khimiya, 2004.Google Scholar
- 4.Processing of Thermoplastic Materials, Bernhardt, E.C., Ed., New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1959.Google Scholar
- 6.Orlova, O.V., Egorova, S.N., and Oslopov, V.N., The influence of dimethylsulfoxide on the permeability of cell membranes, Kazan. Med. Zh., 2011, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 901–904.Google Scholar
- 7.Li, S., Molina, I., Martinez, M.B., and Vert, M., Hydrolytic and enzymatic degradations of physically crosslinked hydrogels prepared from PLA/PEO/PLA triblock copolymers, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Med., 2002, vol. 13, pp. 81–86.Google Scholar
- 10.Injectable Biomaterials: Science and Applications, Vernon, B., Ed., Oxford: Woodhead, 2011.Google Scholar
- 17.Avdeev, M.V., Konovalov, A.N., Bagratashvili, V.N., Popov, V.K., Tsypina, S.I., Sokolova, M., Ke, J., and Poliakoff, M., The fibre optic reflectometer: A new and simple probe for refractive index and phase separation measurements in gases, liquids and supercritical fluids, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2004, no. 6, pp. 1258–1263.Google Scholar