Effect of the Conditions of Formation of W–C Nanopowders in a Plasma Jet on the Synthesis of Hexagonal Tungsten Carbide
- 6 Downloads
The effects of the conditions of a raw material introduction as well as mixing of it with a high-temperature gas flow under the plasma chemical synthesis of superdispersed powder of W–C have been studied. In the case of incomplete raw material evaporation and its fast quenching, preferred cubic tungsten carbide β-WC formation is found to occur, as well as nano- and microparticles with a complicated phase composition. In the case of complete raw material evaporation, the products of reducing synthesis are nanopowder of tungsten or semicarbide W2C depending on the amount of hydrocarbon introduced. There is a second stage of the process of low-temperature synthesis which leads to a single-phase of tungsten carbide α-WC formation. Complete evaporation of raw material must be ensured in the plasma chemical process for obtaining of α-WC powder with a maximum specific surface area.
Keywords:plasma chemical synthesis tungsten carbide ultrafine powders evaporation mixing conditions low-temperature synthesis
The work was supported by the state task no. 007-00129-18-00.
CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Tret’yakov, V.I., Osnovy metallovedeniya i tekhnologii proizvodstva spechennykh tverdykh splavov (Metal Science and Production of Sintered Alloys), Moscow: Metallurgiya, 1976.Google Scholar
- 5.Tsvetkov, Yu.V. and Panfilov, S.A., Nizkotemperaturnaya plazma v protsessakh vosstanovleniya (Low-Temperature Plasma in Reduction Processes), Moscow: Nauka, 1980.Google Scholar
- 6.Blagoveshchenskii, Yu.V. and Panfilov, S.A., Jet-plasma processes for powder metallurgy, Elektrometallurgiya, 1999, no. 3, pp. 28–34.Google Scholar
- 7.Blagoveshchenskii, Yu.V., Samokhin, A.V., Tsvetkov, Yu.V., Alekseev, N.V., Mel’nik, Yu.I., et al., RF Patent 2349424, 2009.Google Scholar
- 8.Isaeva, N.V., Blagoveshchensky, Yu.V., Blagoveshchenskaya, N.V., Mel’nik, Yu.I., Samokhin, A.V., Alekseev, N.V., and Astashov, A.G., Preparation of nanopowders of carbides and hard-alloy mixtures applying low-temperature plasma, Russ. J. Non-Ferrous Met., 2014, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 585–591.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Storms, E.K., The Refractory Carbides, New York: Academic, 1967.Google Scholar