The First Record of the Alien Species Asian Carpet Beetle (Anthrenus coloratus Reitter, 1881) (Coleoptera: Dermestidae) from Russia—A Serious Pest of Museum Collections
- 4 Downloads
Asian carpet beetle Anthrenus coloratus Reitter, 1881 (Coleoptera: Dermestidae) is reported in Russia for the first time. This species, being a harmful pest of museum zoological, artisan, historical, and other collections, is of significant practical importance. As a rule, exhibits and stock objects that have animal origin (dry skins and carcasses, stuffed animals, entomological collections, etc.) or include natural materials of animal origin (wool and fur products) are exposed to damage. A. coloratus is widespread in Eurasia, Africa, and North America. There is information about the presence of the species in South America. The distribution, biological features, harmfulness, and possible invasion of this alien species are discussed in the paper.
Keywords:Coleoptera Dermestidae Megatominae Anthrenini Anthrenus coloratus dermestid beetles carpet beetle Russia invader
I am deeply grateful to R.D. Zhantiev (Moscow State University) for confirming the identification of A. coloratus, as well as M.Ya. Orlova-Benkovskaya (Institute of Ecology and Evolution of the Russian Academy of Sciences) for a number of valuable consultations and comments related to this study. In addition, I am grateful to the editor and anonymous reviewers, whose comments and criticism contributed to the improvement of this publication. This study was carried out with the financial support of the Russian Science Foundation (grant no. 16-14-10 031).
COMPLIANCE WITH ETHICAL STANDARDS
Conflict of interests. The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Statement on the welfare of animals. This article does not contain any studies involving animals performed by any of the authors.
- 1.Carpet Beetles, The Booth Museum of Natural History, Brighton & Hove Museum Collection, 2015. http:// brightonmuseums.org.uk/booth/wp-content/uploads/ sites/4/2015/03/Info_carpetbeetle.pdf. Accessed January 15, 2018.Google Scholar
- 2.Denux, O. and Zagatti, P., Coleoptera families other than Cerambycidae, Curculionidae sensu lato, Chrysomelidae sensu lato and Coccinelidae, Chapter 8.3, BioRisk, 2010, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 315–406.Google Scholar
- 3.Ebeling, W., Urban Entomology, Chapter 8: Pest of Fabrics and Paper, Entomology UC Riverside, 2002. http://www. entomology.ucr.edu/ebeling/ebeling8.html. Accessed January 15, 2018.Google Scholar
- 4.Hagstrum, D.W. and Subramanyam, B., Stored-Product Insect Resource, St. Paul, Minnesota: AACC International, 2009. Google Scholar
- 5.Háva, J., World Catalogue of Insects, Vol. 26: Dermestidae (Coleoptera), Leiden, Brill, 2015. Google Scholar
- 6.Háva, J. and Löbl, I., Family Dermestidae Latreille, 1804, in Catalogue of Palaearctic Coleoptera, Vol. IV: Elateroidea–Derodontoidea–Bostrichoidea–Lymexyloidea–Cleroidea–Cucujoidea, Löbl, I. and Smetana, A., Eds., Stenstrup: Apollo Books, 2007, pp. 299–320.Google Scholar
- 7.Mordkovich, Ya.B. and Sokolov, E.A., Reference Guide for Quarantine and Other Dangerous Pests of Raw Materials, Stock Products, and Inoculum, Popovich, M., Ed., Moscow: Kolos, 1999.Google Scholar
- 9.Peacock E.R. Adults and larvae of hide, larder and carpet beetles and their relatives (Coleoptera: Dermestidae) and of Derodontid beetles (Coleptera: Derodontidae), in Hand Books for the Identification of British Insects, London: Proc. R. Entomol. Soc. Lond., 1993, vol. 5, part 3.Google Scholar
- 10.Pushkin, S.V., List of Dermestidae species in Russia: beetles and coleopterists, Institute of Zoology, 2016. https:// www.zin.ru/Animalia/Coleoptera/rus/derme_ru.htm. Accessed January 16, 2018.Google Scholar
- 11.Vijay, Veer and Rao, R.M., Taxonomic and biological notes on three Attagenus spp. (Coleoptera: Dermestidae) not previously recorded as pests of stored woollen fabrics in India, J. Stored Prod. Res., 1995, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 211–219.Google Scholar
- 13.Vijay, Veer, Chauhan, R.S., and Rao, R.M., Studies on larval feeding of some new insect pests on wool-synthetic blend fabric, Ind. J. Fibre Textile Res., 1999, vol. 24, pp. 139–141.Google Scholar
- 14.Zhantiev, R.D., Zhuki-kozheedy (semeistvo Dermestidae) fauny SSSR (Beetles from Dermestidae Family in Fauna of USSR), Moscow, 1976.Google Scholar
- 15.Zhantiev, R.D. and Kireichuk, A.G., List of Dermestidae species in Russia: beetles and coleopterists, Institute of Zoology, 2003. https://www.zin.ru/Animalia/Coleoptera/rus/derm_ru.htm. Accessed January 16, 2018.Google Scholar