Siberian Sturgeon (Acipenser baerii Brandt) in the Curonian Lagoon of the Baltic Sea
- 7 Downloads
The paper presents the results of the observations of the mass appearance of specimens of Siberian sturgeon (Acipenser baerii) in the Curonian Lagoon, released during an accident on a fish farm on the Grabova River in Poland. About 50 000 individuals of Siberian sturgeon and some Russian sturgeon (Acipenser gueldenstaedtii) entered the Baltic Sea. In 36 days, the first Siberian sturgeon individual was caught in the Curonian Lagoon. From the end of October the catches of sturgeon became mass in the Curonian Lagoon. The last sturgeon was caught on November 23, 2017. The volunteers managed to trace 27 catches of Siberian sturgeon. The area near the mouth of the Neman River was where the majority of catches occurred. It is possible that Siberian sturgeon may appear in the Neman River.
Keywords:Curonian Lagoon accidental introduction Siberian sturgeon Acipenser baerii Neman River
The authors officially thank the volunteers who took part in the study. The study was carried out with the following support: collection of the material, by a grant from the Coalition Clean Baltic (CCB) “Barents-Baltic Program: Nature and Man”; data analysis, in the framework of state assignment topic no. 0149-2018-0035.
COMPLIANCE WITH ETHICAL STANDARDS
Conflict of interests. The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Statement on the welfare of animals. This article does not contain any studies involving animals performed by any of the authors.
- 1.Berg, L.S., Ryby presnykh vod SSSR i sopredel’nykh stran (Freshwater Fish of the USSR and Adjacent Countries), Moscow: Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1948, vol. 1. Google Scholar
- 2.Gushchin, A., Kolman, R., Gečys, V., Pilinkovskij, A., Lysanskiy, I., Szczepkowski, M. and Stakėnas, S., Realization of the project for Acipenser oxyrhynchus oxyrhynchus restoration in the basin of Neman River, J. Ichtyol., 2013, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 937–943. doi 10.1134/S0032945213110052Google Scholar
- 3.Gushchin, A.V., Lysanskiy, I.N., and Kolman, R., Feeding of the Atlantic sturgeon Acipenser oxyrinchus in the Curonian Lagoon, Mater. 4th Nauchno-pract. konf. s mezhd. uchastiem “Ekologicheskaya i radiatsionnaya bezopasnost’ ob”ektov atomnoi energetiki,” Kaliningrad, 18–19 oktyabrya 2017 (Proc. 4th Sci.-Pract. Conf. with Int. Participation “Ecological and Radiation Safety of Nuclear Power Facilities,” Kaliningrad, October 18–19, 2017), Kaliningrad, 2017, pp. 137–139.Google Scholar
- 4.Kolman, R., The past, species status and future of the Baltic sturgeon (Acipenser oxyrhynchus oxyrhynchus Mitchell), in Aktualny stan i aktywna ochrona naturalnych populacji ryb jesiotrowatych zagroïonych wyginikciem (Current Status and Active Protection of Natural Populations of Sturgeon Fish Threatened by Extinction), Kolman, R. and Kapusta, A., Eds., Wyd. IRS, 2008, pp. 9–18.Google Scholar
- 5.Kolman, R., Gushchin, A., and Lysanskiy, I.N., Sharp-nosed sturgeon Acipenser oxyrhynchus in the Curonian Lagoon, in Problemy izucheniya i okhrany prirodnogo i kul’turnogo naslediya Natsional’nogo parka “Kurshskaya kosa” (Problems of Studying and Protecting the Natural and Cultural Heritage of the National Park “Curonian Spit”), Kaliningrad, 2017, no. 13, pp. 79–86.Google Scholar
- 6.Kozhin, N.I., Siberian sturgeon, in Promyslovye ryby SSSR (Commercial Fish of the USSR), Moscow: Pishchepromizdat, 1949, pp. 62–64.Google Scholar
- 7.Ludwig, A., Debus, L., Lieckfeld, D., Wirgin, I., Benecke, N., Jenneckens, I., Williot, P., Waldman, J.R., and Pitra, C., When the American sea sturgeon swam east, Nature, 2002, no. 493, pp. 447–448.Google Scholar
- 9.Nowak, M., Szczerbik, P., Tatoj, K., and Popek, W., Non-native freshwater fishes in Poland: an overview, Aquacult. Aquarium Conserv. Legis. Bioflux, 2008, pp. 173–191.Google Scholar
- 10.Ruban, G.I., The Siberian Sturgeon Acipenser baerii Brandt: Species Structure and Ecology, Norderstedt (Germany), 2005, special issue no. 1.Google Scholar
- 12.Sokolov, L.I. and Vasil’ev, V.P., Acipenser baeri Brandt, 1869, in The Freshwater Fishes of Europe, Vol. 1/II: General Introduction to Fishes Acipenseriformes, Wiesbaden: Aula-Verlag, 1989, pp. 263–284. Google Scholar
- 13.Stankovič, A., Panagiotopoulou, H., Węgleński, P., and Popovic, D., Genetic research on sturgeon in connection with its restitution program in Polish waters, Restytucja Jesiotra Baltyckiego, 2007, pp. 21–26.Google Scholar
- 14.Weiperth, A., Csányi, B.I., György, Á.I., Szekeres, J., Friedrich, T., and Szalóky Z., Observation of the sturgeon hybrid (Acipenser naccarii × Acipenser baerii) in the Hungarian section of River Danube, Pisces Hungarici, 2014, vol. 8, pp. 111–112.Google Scholar