Marine Gyrocompasses: Development and Prospects
- 5 Downloads
The paper addresses the history of marine gyrocompasses development in the USSR and Russia. It is noted that despite the development and implementation of attitude and heading reference systems (AHRS), strapdown inertial navigation systems, and satellite compasses (SNS-compasses), the classical gyrocompass of both pendulum and adjustable types is and will be still in demand due to its simple operation and low cost along with the accuracy sufficient for safe navigation; therefore, it will require further development and improvement.
Keywordsgyroscope gyrocompass AHRS SNS-compass strapdown inertial system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blyumin, G.D., Zhbanov, Yu.K., and Koshlyakov, V.N., Giroskopicheskie kompasy (Gyroscopic Compasses) in Razvitie mekhaniki giroskopicheskikh i inertsial’nykh system (Gyroscopic and Inertial System Mechanics Development), Moscow: Nauka, 1973.Google Scholar
- 3.Kogan, V.M., and Chichinadze, M.V., Sudovoi girokompas “Vega” (Vega Shipborne Gyrocompass), Moscow: Transport, 1983.Google Scholar
- 4.Koryakin, V.M., and Khrebtov, A.A., Ot astrologii k navigatsionnym kompleksam (From Astrology towards Integrated Navigation Systems), St. Petersburg: Sudostroenie, 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.Korkishko, Yu.N., Plotnikov, P.K. et al., Strapdown inertial navigation systems based on fiber-optic gyros, Giroskopiya i navigatsiya, 2014, no.1, pp. 14–26.Google Scholar
- 6.Koshlyakov, V.N., Teoriya giroskopicheskikh kompasov (Theory of Gyroscopic Compasses), Moscow: Nauka, 1972.Google Scholar
- 7.K. Magnus, Gyroscopes, Theory and Applications [Russian translation], Moscow: Mir, 1974.Google Scholar
- 8.Chichinadze, M.V., and Kogan, V.M., Marine gyrocompasses: What is further? Giroskopiya i navigatsiya, 1998, no. 3, pp. 54–58.Google Scholar
- 9.Chichinadze, M.V., and Kogan, V.M., Gyroscopic compasses: present and future, Proc. Symposium Gyro Technology, Stuttgart, 2005.Google Scholar
- 10.Chichinadze, M.V., From magnetic and gyroscopic compasses to strapdown and non-gyro systems: development trends, Trudy 9-oi Konferentsii molodykh uchenykh “Navigatsiya i upravlenie dvizheniem” (Proc. 9th Conference of Young Scientists “Navigation and Motion Control”), St. Petersburg, 2007, pp. 9–22.Google Scholar
- 11.Luk’yanov, D.P., and Leskovets, Yu.A., On the history of gyrocompass creation and improvements, Trudy 8-oi Konferentsii molodykh uchenykh “Navigatsiya i upravlenie dvizheniem” (Proc. 8th Conference of Young Scientists “Navigation and Motion Control”), St. Petersburg, 2006, pp. 13–25.Google Scholar
- 12.Schell, B., 100 Years of Anschutz Gyro Compasses–100 Years of Innovations, Symposium Gyro Technology 2005, Stuttgart: Stuttgart Universitaet, 2005.Google Scholar