Phosphorylation Level of Complex V Proteins of Higher Plant Mitochondria Correlates with Their Redox State
The effect of synthetic cytokinin BAP (6-benzylaminopurine) on protein phosphorylation in isolated maize mitochondria was investigated. The effect of BAP in comparison with classical inhibitors of the mitochondria respiratory complexes, such as rotenone, malonate, SHAM, and KCN on the level of mitochondrial protein phosphorylation was studied. Assessment of the activity of respiratory complexes I and II by the BN-PAGE (blue native polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis) in mitochondria untreated and treated with BAP has not revealed any difference in the activity of these complexes. Investigation of the mitochondrial complex V activity under BAP treatment has shown a significant decrease in the mitochondrial ATPase activity. The effect of BAP was similar to the effect of such a specific inhibitor of the membrane-bound mitochondrial ATPase as oligomycin and an inhibitor of protein tyrosine kinases genistein.
Keywords:Zea mays mitochondria phosphorylation/dephosphorylation of proteins respiratory complexes cytokinins 6-benzylaminopurine genistein
The work was performed using the equipment of the CSU Bioanalytics of the Siberian Institute of plant physiology and biochemistry SB RAS (Irkutsk).
COMPLIANCE WITH ETHICAL STANDARDS
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest. This article does not contain any studies involving animals or human participants performed by any of the authors.
- 5.Havelund J.F., Thelen J.J., Moller I.M. 2013. Biochemistry, proteomics and phosphoproteomic of plant mitochondria from non-photosynthetic cell. Plant Sci. 4, 1–10.Google Scholar
- 9.Subota I.Yu., Arziev A.Sh., Koulintchenko M.V., Konstantinov Yu.M. 2013. Ca2+ ions modulate the level of phosphorylation/dephosphorylation of mitochondrial proteins. Biol. Membrany (Rus.). 30 (3), 230–237.Google Scholar
- 10.Laemmli U.K. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of head of bacteriophage T4. Nature. 277, 174–182.Google Scholar
- 12.Heinemeyer J., Lewejohann D., Braun H.P. 2007. Blue-native gel electrophoresis for the characterization of protein complexes in plants. Methods Mol. Biol. 355, 343–352.Google Scholar
- 14.Zheng J., Ramires V.D. 1993. Rapid inhibition of rat brain mitochondria proton F0F1-ATPase by estrogens: Comparison with Na+,K+-ATPase of porcine cortex. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 368, 92–102.Google Scholar
- 15.Salgado I., Oliveira H.C. 2015. The role of alternative respiratory protein in nitric oxide metabolism by plant mitochondria. In: Alternative respiratory pathway in higher plants. Eds. Kapuganti J.G. Hoboken, New Jersey: Wiley Blackwell, p. 95–100.Google Scholar
- 17.Konstantinov Y.M., Lutsenko G.M., Podsossonny V.A. 1995. Genetic functions of isolated maize mitochondria under model changes of redox conditions. Biochem. Mol. Biol. Int. 36, 319–326.Google Scholar
- 18.Brineger C., Shan G., Cooper G. 1996. Photoaffinity labelling of cytokinin-binding integral membrane protein in plant mitochondria. In: Plant Gormone Signal Perception and Transduction. Eds Smith A.R. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Kluwer Acad. Publ., p. 83–88.Google Scholar