Architecture of Promoters of House-Keeping Genes in Polytene Chromosome Interbands of Drosophila melanogaster
- 23 Downloads
This is the first study to investigate the molecular-genetic organization of polytene chromosome interbands located on both molecular and cytological maps of Drosophila genome. The majority of the studied interbands contained one gene with a single transcription initiation site; the remaining interbands contained one gene with several alternative promoters, two or more unidirectional genes, and “head-to-head” arranged genes. In addition, intricately arranged interbands containing three or more genes in both unidirectional and bidirectional orientation were found. Insulator proteins, ORC, P-insertions, DNase I hypersensitive sites, and other open chromatin structures were situated in the promoter region of the genes located in the interbands. This area is critical for the formation of the interband, an open chromatin region in which gene transcription and replication are combined.
- 2.Zhimulev, I.F., Zykova, T.Y., Goncharov, F.P., Khoroshko, V.A., Demakova, O.V., Semeshin, V.F., Po-kholkova, G.V., Boldyreva, L.V., Demidova, D.S., Babenko, V.N., Demakov, S.A., and Belyaeva, E.S., Genetic organization of interphase chromosome bands and interbands in Drosophila melanogaster, PLoS One, 2014, vol. 9, no. 7. e101631.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Vatolina, T.Yu., Boldyreva, L.V., Demakova, O.V., Demakov, S.A., Kokoza, E.B., Semeshin, V.F., Babenko, V.N., Goncharov, F.P., Belyaeva, E.S., and Zhimulev, I.F., Identical functional organization of cell line interphase and polytene chromosomes in Droso-phila melanogaster, PLoS One, 2011, vol. 6, no. 10. e25960.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Khoroshko, V.A., Levitsky, V.G., Zykova, T.Y., Antonenko, O.V., Belyaeva, E.S., and Zhimulev, I.F., Chromatin heterogeneity and distribution of regulatory elements in the late-replicating intercalary heterochromatin domains of Drosophila melanogaster chromosomes, PLoS One, 2016, vol. 11, no. 6. e0157147.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Pokholkova, G., Demakov, S., Andreenkov, O., Andreenkova, N., Volkova, E., Belyaeva, E., and Zhimulev, I., Tethering of CHROMATOR and dCTCF proteins results in decompaction of condensed bands in the Drosophila melanogaster polytene chromosomes but does not affect their transcription and replication timing, PLoS One, 2018, vol. 13, no. 4. e0192634.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Vogelmann, J., Le Gall, A., Dejardin, S., Allemand, F., Gamot, A., Labesse, G., Cuvier, O., Nègre, N., Cohen-Gonsaud, M., Margeat, E., and Nöllmann, M., Chromatin insulator factors involved in long-range DNA interactions and their role in the folding of the Drosophila genome, PLoS Genet., 2014, vol. 10, no. 8. e1004544.CrossRefGoogle Scholar