Mechanical Improvements of Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotube-Epoxy Composite: Covalent Functionalization of Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotube by Epoxy Chains
- 9 Downloads
In this study, multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs) were functionalized with epoxy chains via a microwave-assisted method. The effect of MWCNT functionalization with epoxy chains was studied on mechanical properties of MWCNT-reinforced epoxy composites. It was found that functionalization of MWCNT with epoxy chains can significantly enhance the compatibility of MWCNTs with the epoxy matrix. Consequently, remarkable improvements were achieved in mechanical properties, tensile strength and elastic modulus, of the MWCNT-reinforced epoxy composites. Fractography observation of reinforced composites was carried out to study the reinforcing effect of functionalized MWCNTs on the epoxy composites. It was found that the reinforcing effect of MWCNTs changed the fracture mood of the composite from ductile mood to a brittle fracture.
This work was supported by Iran Nanotechnology Initiative Council.
- 1.Y. C. Ke and P. Stroeve, Polymer-Layered Silicate and Silica Nanocomposites (Elsevier B.V., Amsterdam, 2005).Google Scholar
- 4.Composite Science and Technology: 2020—Scientific and Technical Challenges: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Composite Science and Technology (ICCST-9), Ed. by M. Meo (Destech Publ. Inc., Sorrento, 2013).Google Scholar
- 5.S. K. Pillai and S. S. Ray, “Epoxy-based Carbon Nanotubes Reinforced Composites,” in Advances in Nanocomposites—Synthesis, Characterization and Industrial Applications, Ed. by B. Reddy (InTech, Rijeka, 2011).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Agarwal, S. R. Bakshi, and D. Lahiri, Carbon Nanotubes: Reinforced Metal Matrix Composites (CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2010).Google Scholar
- 15.A. Paipetis and V. Kostopoulos, Carbon Nanotube Enhanced Aerospace Composite Materials: A New Generation of Multifunctional Hybrid Structural Composites (Springer, Netherlands, 2012).Google Scholar
- 17.Epoxy Polymers: New Materials and Innovations, Ed. by J. P. Pascault and R. J. J. Williams (Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2009).Google Scholar
- 18.H. F. Mark and J. I. Kroschwitz, Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Technology (Wiley, Michigan, 2003).Google Scholar
- 25.E.-S. Park, Preparation, “Characterization and Applicability of Covalently Functionalized MWNT,” in Physical and Chemical Properties of Carbon Nanotubes, Ed. by S. Suzuki (IntechOpen, Rijeka, 2013).Google Scholar
- 26.M. G. González, J. Baselga, and J. C. Cabanelas, “Applications of FTIR on Epoxy Resins—Identification, Monitoring the Curing Process, Phase Separation and Water Uptake,” in Infrared Spectroscopy—Materials Science, Engineering and Technology, Ed. by T. M. Theophanides (InTech, Rijeka, 2012).Google Scholar
- 28.C. Damian, A. M. Pandele, and H. Iovu, Sci. Bull. – Univ. “Politeh.” Bucharest, Ser. B 72, 163 (2010).Google Scholar
- 30.E. L. Camponeschi, PhD Thesis (Georgia Inst. Technol., Atlanta, 2007).Google Scholar