Residual Strength of Glazing of Spacecraft upon Collisions with Cosmic Particles in Near-Earth Orbits
The reliability of the glass used in spacecraft windows depends on the size of the defects forming upon the impingement of meteoritic particles on a window, as well as the size, density, velocity, and angles of impingement of the particles. In this article, based on the theory of the strength in a double-layer model, formulas are developed that express the dependence of the residual glass strength on the diameter, density, velocity relative to the first cosmic velocity, and angles of impingement of the particles.
Keywordsglass strength density velocity kinetic energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Solinov, V.F., Morphology of defects and residual strength of alkali-silicate and quartz glasses during impact of meteorites of different thicknesses, Steklo Keram., 2012, no. 9, pp. 3–8.Google Scholar
- 2.Solinov, V.F., Study of defects in quartz glass under the action of high-speed particles on a window, Steklo Keram., 2010, no. 8, pp. 9–12.Google Scholar
- 3.Solinov, V.F., Estimation of the dimensions of micrometeorites colliding with the ISS illuminators and the residual strength of the glass, Nauka Tekhnol. Prom-sti, 2015, no. 1, pp. 36–38.Google Scholar
- 4.Kustov, M.E., Kurchatov, I.S., Murav’ev, E.N., Revenko, V.I., Solinov, V.F., and Solinov, E.F., The influence of various methods of processing silicate glasses on their strength characteristics, Steklo Keram., 2013, no. 5, pp. 22–24.Google Scholar
- 5.Kustov, E.F., Kustov, M.E., Solinov, V.F., and Solinov, E.F., On the limit of the strength of glasses, Steklo Glass Russia, 2014, March, pp. 24–28.Google Scholar
- 6.Kustov, M.E. and Solinov, V.F., Modulus of elasticity and ultimate strength of inorganic substances, Izv. Akad. Inzh. Nauk im. A.M. Prokhorova, 2013, no. 3, pp. 19–30.Google Scholar
- 7.Kustov, E.F. and Kustov, M.E., Surface tension of inorganic substance melts, Vestn. MEI, 2013, no. 4, pp. 216–221.Google Scholar
- 8.Kustov, M.E., Surface tension and adhesion of inorganic substances, Izv. Akad. Inzh. Nauk im. A.M. Prokhorova, 2013, no. 3, pp. 93–105.Google Scholar
- 9.Kustov, M.E., Kustov, E.F., Miroshnichenko, A.Yu., and Shemetova, V.K., Elasticity of solids in the double layer model, Vestn. MEI, 2013, no. 6, pp. 162–169.Google Scholar