Synthesis, Characterization, and in vitro Antibacterial Evaluation of Barbituric Acid Derivatives
- 15 Downloads
A series of 5,5′-(arylmethylene)bis[1,3-dimethyl-6-(methylamino)pyrimidine-2,4(1H,3H)-diones] have been synthesized by 2: 1 condensation of 1,3-dimethylbarbituric acid with armatic aldehydes in the presence of methylamine. The synthesized compounds have been characterized by 1H and 13C NMR, IR, and mass spectra and tested for their in vitro antibacterial activity against Bacillus subtilis, Staphylococcus aureus, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Some of the compounds have shown antibacterial activity exceeding that of ampicillin used as reference drug.
Keywordsbarbituric acid derivatives 5,5′-(arylmethylene)bis[1,3-dimethyl-6-(methylamino)pyrimidin-2,4(1H,3H)-diones antibacterial activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors are thankful to the Head, Department of Chemistry, University of Lucknow, Lucknow, for providing necessary laboratory facilities; to the Director, Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI), Lucknow, India, for providing spectral data; and to the Director, Faculty of Biotechnology, Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Shri Ramswaroop Memorial Unversity, for providing biological activity data.
- 2.Dhorajiya, B.D., Patel, J.R., Malani, M.H., and Dholakiya, B.Z., Pharm. Sin., 2012, vol. 3, p. 131.Google Scholar
- 3.Dhorajiya, B., Malani, M., and Dholakiya, M., J. Chem. Sci., 2012, vol. 38, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 4.Spaulding, A., Rutherford, G.W., and Siegfried, N., Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2012, vol. 4, CD008651.Google Scholar
- 7.Basavaraja, H.S., Jayadevaiah, K.V., Mumtaz, M.H., Kumar, M.M., and Basavaraj, P., J. Pharm. Sci., 1989, vol. 2, p. 5.Google Scholar
- 11.Abd El-Fattah, O., Abbas, E.M.H., Mohamed, N.A., and Abd-Elmoez, S.I., Aust. J. Basic Appl. Sci., 2010, vol. 4, p. 27.Google Scholar
- 16.Dhorajiya, B.D., Bhuva, R.G., and Dholakiya, B.Z., J. Chem. Sci., 2016, vol. 7, p. 126.Google Scholar
- 17.Barakat, A., Al-Majid, A.M., Lotfy, G., Arshad, F., Yousuf, S., Choudhary, M.I., Ashraf, S., and Ul-Haq, Z., Chem. Cent. J., 2015, vol. 9, article no. 63.Google Scholar
- 21.Clark-Lewis, J.W. and Thomson, M.J., J. Chem. Soc., 1959, p. 1628.Google Scholar
- 24.Shukla, S., Bishnoi, A., Fatma, S., Verma, A.K., and Devi, P., ChemistrySelect, 2018, vol. 3, p. 7000.Google Scholar