Compact CoPlanar Waveguide-fed Ultra Wide Band and Band Switchable Slot Antenna for Cognitive Radio Front-end System
- 10 Downloads
A compact coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed ultra-wideband (UWB) slot antenna with four narrowband switchable states is presented in this paper. Cognitive Radio (CR) portable devices demand a compact antenna. In planar monopole antennas where a large space around the patch is getting wasted that can effectively be used in UWB slot antennas. The proposed antenna consists of a half-elliptical slot radiator fed through a half-elliptical shaped tuning stub to operate in the UWB mode for CR sensing. However narrowband antenna is required to operate in CR communication purpose. To operate in the narrowband mode the UWB slot antenna is fed through a defected ground structure (DGS) integrated CPW line. Frequency re-configurability is achieved by changing the DGS slot length using eight PIN diode switches. The proposed compact antenna can cover UWB frequency range from 3.14 GHz to 12 GHz. It has omnidirectional radiation pattern and also has high realized gain which is especially suited for CR front-end applications.
Keywords:cognitive radio (CR) reconfigurable antenna switchable DGS filter ultra-wideband (UWB)
The author would like to thank R&D Microwave Laboratory, department of Electronics Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines), Dhanbad for its help in the completion of the paper.
- 2.P. H. Rao, “Antenna configurations for software defined radio and cognitive radio communication architecture,” in Proc. Int. Conf. on Wireless Commun. and Sensor Computing (ICWCSC), Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India, Jan. 2–4, 2010 (IEEE, New York, 2010), pp. 1–4.Google Scholar
- 3.N. Wang, Y. Gao, and Q. Zeng, “Compact wideband omnidirectional UHF a ntenna for TV white space cognitive radio application,” AEU-Int. J. Electron. C (2017). (in press).Google Scholar
- 4.E. Nunez, H. Aguilar, J. Mendez, and R. Flores-Leal, “Ultra-wideband slotted disc antenna compatible with cognitive radio applications,” Prog. in Electromagn. Res. Lett. 34, 53–63 (2012).Google Scholar
- 6.J. R. Kelly, P. Song, P. S. Hall, and A. L. Borja, “Reconfigurable 460 MHz to 12 GHz antenna with integrated narrowband slot,” Prog. in Electromagn. Res. C 24, 137–145 (2011).Google Scholar
- 10.M. Al-Husseini, A. Ramadan, M. Zamudio, C. Christodoulou, A. El-Hajj, and K. Kabalan, “A UWB antenna combined with a reconfigurable bandpass filter for cognitive radio applications,” in Proc. IEEE-APS Topical Conf. on Antennas and Propag. in Wireless Commun. (APWC), Torino, Sept. 12–16, 2011 (IEEE, New York, 2011), pp. 902–904.Google Scholar
- 11.A. H. Ramadan, J. Costantine, M. Al-Husseini, K. Y. Kabalan, Y. Tawk, and C. Christodoulou, “Tunable filter-antennas for cognitive radio applications,” Prog. in Electromagn. Res. B 57, 253–265 (2014).Google Scholar