Increasing the Photocurrent of a Ga(In)As Subcell in Multijunction Solar Cells Based on GaInP/Ga(In)As/Ge Heterostructure
- 9 Downloads
Spectral characteristics of the Ga(In)As subcell of triple-junction GaInP/Ga(In)As/Ge solar cells have been experimentally and theoretically studied. It is established that the use of a wide-bandgap “window” layer with optimum thickness (100 nm for Ga0.51In0.49P, 110 nm for Al0.4Ga0.6As, and 115 nm for the Al0.8Ga0.2As) in Ga(In)As subcell allows the response photocurrent to be increased by about 0.5 mA/cm2; the change of material in the rear potential barrier of the GaInP subcell from Al0.53In0.47P to p+-Ga0.51In0.49P or AlGaAs allows the short-circuit current of Ga(In)As subcell to be additionally increased by about 0.8 mA/cm2; and the use of a wide-bandgap n++-Ga0.51In0.49P layer instead of n++-GaAs in the tunnel diode increases the photocurrent by about 1 mA/cm2.
Keywords:solar cell mathematical modeling photocurrent subcell gallium arsenide.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.R. R. King, D. C. Law, C. M. Fetzer, R. A. Sherif, K. M. Edmondson, S. Kurtz, G. S. Kinsey, H. L. Cotal, D. D. Krut, J. H. Ermer, and N. H. Karam, in Proceedings of the 20th EPVSEC, Barcelona, Spain,2005, p. 118.Google Scholar
- 4.L. Barrutia, I. García, E. Barrigón, M. Ochoa, I. Lombardero, M. Hinojosa, P. Caño, J. Bautista, L. Cifuentes, I. Rey-Stolle, and C. Algora, in Proceedings of the 2018 Spanish Conference on Electron Devices (CDE) (IEEE, 2018), p. 8596996. https://doi.org/10.1109/CDE.2018.8596996
- 9.M. A. Stan, P. R. Sharps, N. S. Fatemi, F. S. Spadafora, D. J. Aiken, and H. Q. Hou, in Proceedings of the 28th IEEE PV Specialists Conference (IEEE, 2000), p. 1374.Google Scholar
- 13.A. M. Vasil’ev and A. P. Landsman, Semiconductor Photoconverters (Sovetskoe Radio, Moscow, 1971) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 14.V. M. Andreev, V. M. Emelyanov, N. A. Kalyuzhnyy, V. M. Lantratov, S. A. Mintairov, M. Z. Shvarts, and N. K. Timoshina, in Proceedings of the 23rd EPVSEC, Valencia, Spain,2008, p. 375.Google Scholar