Influence of High-Temperature Annealing on the Resistance to High Strain Rate and Fracture of Tantalum at Temperatures of 20 and 500°C
- 9 Downloads
Two series of shock-wave experiments have been conducted in order to measure the Hugoniot elastic limit and determine the strain rate dependence of critical fracture stress for tantalum experiencing spall fracture. Tantalum specimens have been preannealed in vacuum at 1000°C. The evolution of elastoplastic compression shock waves at room and elevated up to 500°C temperatures has been presented from complete wave profiles recorded by a VISAR laser Doppler velocimeter. The spall strength dependence on the strain rate during the expansion of the material in a rarefaction wave has been determined.
The experiments were conducted in the Moscow regional explosive center for collective use of equipment at the Russian Academy of Sciences.
This study was performed as a part of state task no. 0089-2014-0016 in the framework of the program High-Energy-Density Condensed Matter and Plasma, Russian Academy of Sciences (research area Rapid Physicochemical Transformations and Fracture of Solids and Liquids).
- 1.W. M. Isbell, V. R. Christman, and S. G. Babcock, Measurements of Dynamic Properties of Materials, Vol. VI: Tantalum (General Motors Technical Center, Warren, 1971).Google Scholar
- 6.G. V. Garkushin, O. N. Ignatova, A. M. Podurets, and S. V. Razorenov, Deform. Razrushenie Mater. 4, 33 (2013).Google Scholar
- 9.G. I. Kanel and S. V. Razorenov, Shockwave Loading of Metals. Movement of the Sample Surface (Inst. Khim. Fiz., Chernogolovka, 1989).Google Scholar
- 10.S. V. Razorenov, G. I. Kanel, G. V. Garkushin, and A. S. Savinykh, RF Patent No. 2497096 (2013).Google Scholar
- 12.R. G. McQueen and S. P. Marsh, Report No. GMX-6-566 (Los Alamos Sci. Lab., Los Alamos, 1964), p. 51.Google Scholar
- 14.G. I. Kanel, S. V. Razorenov, A. V. Utkin, and V. E. Fortov, Shockwave Phenomena in Condensed Media (Yanus-K, Moscow, 1996).Google Scholar
- 17.V. A. Ogorodnikov, E. Y. Borovkova, and S. V. Erunov, Combust., Explos. Shock Waves 40, 597 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1023/B:CESW.0000041413.64269.1c CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.J. P. Cuq-Lelandias, M. Boustie, L. Soulard, L. Berthe, T. De. Resseguier, P. Combis, J. Bontaz-Carion, and E. Lescoute, RPJ Web Conf. 10, 00014 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1051/epjconf/20101000014
- 20.G. Roy, Sc.D. Thesis (Univ. of Poitiers, Poitiers, 2003).Google Scholar