Energy Transfer from Ce3+ to Tb3+ in Yttrium and Gadolinium Orthoborates Obtained by Hydrothermal Synthesis
We studied the structure, IR absorption spectra, the spectral characteristics of photoluminescence and morphology of cerium- and terbium-doped orthoborates of gadolinium and yttrium obtained by hydrothermal synthesis at 200°C, as well as solid solutions of orthoborates on the basis of yttrium, gadolinium, and lutetium with composition RECe0.01Tb0.1BO3 (RE = Lu0.5Gd0.39, Lu0.5Y0.39, and Y0.5Gd0.39). The X-ray diffraction spectrum of yttrium orthoborate Y1 – x – yCexTbyBO3 is described by a hexagonal lattice with space group P63/m, which, after annealing at 970°C, transforms into a monoclinic lattice with space group C2/c. High-temperature annealing of the studied orthoborates leads to a multiple, more than two orders of magnitude, increase in the luminescence intensity of Tb3+ ions when the samples are excited in the absorption band of cerium ions. This effect is the result of a significant increase in the concentration of Ce3+ ions in the orthoborates at high temperatures. It is shown that the luminescence of terbium ions is due to energy transfer from Ce3+ to Tb3+, which proceeds with high efficiency (∼85%) by the mechanism of dipole-dipole interaction between cerium and terbium.
We thank E.Yu. Postnova for the study of the morphology of samples and N.F. Prokopyuk for assistance in conducting the experiments.
- 17.Xiao-Cheng Jiang, in Series of Selected Papers from Chun-Tsung Scholars (Peking Univ., 2003). http://dean.pku.edu.cn/bksky/2000jzlwj/14.pdf.Google Scholar
- 23.M. J. Weber, S. E. Derenso, and C. Dujardin, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Inorganic Scintillators and Their Applications, SCINT 95, Delft, The Netherlands, Aug. 28–Sept. 1, 1995, Ed. by P. Dorenbos and C. W. E. van Eijk (Delft, The Netherlands, 1996), p. 325.Google Scholar
- 24.N. V. Klassen, S. Z. Shmurak, I. M. Shmyt’ko, G. K. Strukova, S. E. Derenso, and M. J. Weber, Nucl. Instrum. Method. Phys. Res., Sect. A 537, 144 (2005).Google Scholar
- 25.E. M. Levin, R. S. Roth, and J. B. Martin, Am. Miner. 46, 1030 (1961).Google Scholar
- 32.Y. Jin, Y. Hu, Li Chen, X. Wang, Z. Mu, G. Ju, and Z. Yang, Phys. B (Amsterdam, Neth.) 436, 105 (2014).Google Scholar