Modification of Carbon-Nanotube Wettability by Ion Irradiation
- 15 Downloads
The results of investigating the wettability of commercial multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs) Taunit-MD under irradiation with 120-keV Ar+ ions with various fluences are presented. The structure of the irradiated MWCNTs is investigated using Raman spectroscopy, scanning electron microscopy, and X-ray microanalysis of the samples. The dependences of the average diameter of the MWCNTs, the O2 concentration, and defects in the MWCNT samples on the irradiation fluence, as well as their effect on the wettability with distilled water, ethylene glycol, and cyclohexane are considered. The possibility and prospects of using ion-beam modification methods for controlled variation of the wettability with the aim of creating a MWCNT coating, which is hydrophobic or hydrophilic to various types of liquids, are discussed.
Keywords:ion irradiation multi-walled carbon nanotubes scanning electron microscopy Raman scattering wettability sessile drop method
This study was supported by the Russian Science Foundation (RSF), grant no. 18-72-00149.
A.P. Evseev is a scholar of the Foundation for Development of Theoretical Physics and Mathematics “BASIS”.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.K. D. Kushkina, A. A. Shemukhin, E. A. Vorobyeva, K. A. Bukunov, A. P. Evseev, A. A. Tatarintsev, K. I. Maslakov, N. G. Chechenin, and V. S. Chernysh, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. B 430, 11 (2018).Google Scholar
- 4.V. A. Kobzev, N. G. Chechenin, K. A. Bukunov, E. A. Vorobyeva, and A. V. Makunin, Mater. Today: Proc. 5, 26096 (2018).Google Scholar
- 10.P. Das, S. Dhal, S. Ghosh, S. Chatterjee, C. S. Rout, N. Ramgir, and S. Chatterjee, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. B 413, 31 (2017).Google Scholar
- 24.A. A. Shemukhin, Yu. V. Balakshin, A. P. Evseev, and V. S. Chernysh, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. B 406, 507 (2017).Google Scholar
- 26.S. Costa, E. Borowiak-Palen, M. Kruszyńska, A. Bachmatiuk, and R. J. Kaleńczuk, Mater. Sci.-Pol. 26, 434 (2008).Google Scholar